Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How to hit out of the weeds?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 20 2011 4:34 AM (8 replies)
  • AnnNonymous
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:16 PM

I'm still using beginners clubs which means I never hit past the weeds on #2 at St. George's.  I understand that part of this game is to get you to spend more money to buy better clubs to improve your game, but I'm trying to learn how this game works before I invest any money.  So, my question is how do you hit out of the weeds?  The game always shows me a 4-iron with a medium high spot on the ball, which never goes more than a few feet now matter how well you strike the ball.  I've tried longer clubs, shorter clubs, higher spots on the ball and lower spots on the ball, all with very little success.

Is that the idea for new players and those still using beginner clubs that no matter what you do on your first shot on the second hole you're never going to hit it more than a few yards, if that much?  I hope I'm missing some clue that someone can share with me as to how to play a 'weed' shot on this course.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• silky4015
    255 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 12:14 AM

When in the weeds, its best to play out onto the fairway by using a 9 iron or wedge. You have to cut through the rough before you reach the ball and with a long iron you are pushing the ball through the rough before it begins to rise and therefore only goes a short distance. The higher iron will lift the ball into the air quicker and back into the game.  

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 12:14 AM

hi,

usually the best bet would be using punch with wedge. keep in mind thatb asic clubs are not as effective as higher end ones.

-wgticon

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2011 1:58 AM

The "trouble" wood (hybrid) can work wonders out of the weeds with a punch shot, but, as Icon suggests, definitely this is a better option with the high-ranked clubs. (With the R11 hybrid I have managed to get 150 yards out of 60/70 rough.) Not sure how well the starter hybrid would punch out of weeds.

PS. OK, I tried that with the starter hybrid and it is a non-starter.

• pdxpack
    75 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2011 3:04 PM

So why does the caddie recommend a long iron? The caddie will recommend a PW out of the sand when that's all will work, but just hit long iron recommended out of 40/50 weeds on Royal St George and went 7 yds. A little consistency from the caddie would be nice. Or eliminate the caddie totally. Can't have it both ways. Either the caddie knows or fire the guy.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:05 PM

zagraniczniak:
    PS. OK, I tried that with the starter hybrid and it is a non-starter.

I just tried it too zags!  The beginner hybrid with EZSwing and starter balls Punched 135yds from 30-40 light brush.

FWIW, the beginner SW punched 30+ yds from 30-40 light brush and only ~ 16 yds from heavier stuff..

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:38 PM

AnnNonymous:
    I'm trying to learn how this game works before I invest any money.

Good for you, Ann, this is the way to do it. I'm sure you'll eventually discover how much fun the game is with better equipment and you will be ready for it.

Andyson and Zag just gave you a good way and Icon's tip is another way. Whichever way you go make sure you aim correctly. Ball flight out of trouble doesn't get you carry so you have to make sure there's nothing low in your way out. With the wedge, aim close to where you are, it isn't going too far. With the rescue club make sure it has a clear path where it can roll.

• 100plus
    801 Posts
    Sat, Aug 20 2011 4:23 AM

I agree with Icon ,as in real golf the main objective when in crap is to get back to a playable lie ,preferably the fairway.Drag your target line back to your sand  wedge yardage even if you have to come out straigt sideways or back towards tee depending on how much ruff  you have to clear to hit fairway. hit with full spin and punch shot usually works

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Aug 20 2011 4:34 AM

Tsk Tsk  Tonto. Very naughty!

RSS