Help › Forums

Re: New & looking for pointers...

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:07 AM (4 replies)
  • UncaTom
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 7:36 PM

Hi folks, glad to meet you all! :)

Although new to WGT (& comp golfing as a whole) I'm an avid PS3 golfer & carry a -20 Handicap on the Tiger Woods series. I'm finding the GUI here a challenge (particularly swing timing) & after reading around in the forum still welcome any newbie pointers for not making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Much appreciated... :)

• FuzzyBallz
    179 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 10:13 PM

This game is like all the others in the more you do it the better you get at it.

Hitting the balls is easy - hitting it where you want it to go is the hard part.

Still have the same issue, I have had since starting, "oh nice shot / thx / just wish I had aimed for it to do that".

If at first you don't succeed - whack it again.

Different clubs / club sets / balls and or combinations there of give different results. Some give get forgiveness with less precision while it's counter part gives great precise at the cost of forgiveness and then there is the swing speed slow or fast added in to the mix.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 10:55 PM

Practice that swing timing as much as possible. Play as much ALT shot or Stroke play scored games as possible so you can level up and purchase better clubs. Yes, I said purchase. This game does come at a price. But IMO it's cheap entertainment.

Keep the irons you have until you reach Level 17 and get the G10s.

Keep the putter you have until you get to Level 28 for the Anser.

Upgrade your driver to the Burner SuperFast 2.0 10.5° Driver .

Upgrade your wedges at Level 14 to the Z Satins.

You can win credits playing against other players in match play or you can enter Ready Go tournaments that are within your tier to win credits. Or you can just charge it on your credit card.

You can still play well and compete with starter clubs but like many others before you it will get extremely frustrating.

You can sustain your account in balls and other new goodies without depositing another dime by strictly playing RGs or match play for credits once you get the GUI down. Don't expect that to happen in a week or even a month.

One other piece of advice is to take notes and keep them handy. How the wind effects a shot, the lie, green speed, how far each club travels etc etc.. Those notes will help you score in the future.

• UncaTom
    2 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2011 6:33 AM

Sweet, great stuff & just what I was looking for regarding what clubs to buy first... didn't want to waste credits on clubs early I'd replace quickly. Thanks a bunch for your time. See ya on the green! :)

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:07 AM

As a former TW player, here are a couple of differences you might not be aware of.  With WGT, the lie of the ball (uphill, downhill, side hill) does not affect the ball flight as it does in TW.  Also, you won't be able to work the ball left and right as well as you could in TW.  That said, you might find WGT harder to master.  I remember expecting to shoot -15 to -18 almost every game in TW.  My best score here was a 29 for 9 (-7) and only twice have I done that.  As you move up in levels, you move back in tees and the greens get faster.  Therefore you will need to invest in better clubs to keep your scoring down.  Better clubs have faster swing speeds with the mouse, so more difficult to hit the "ding".  Ever more challenging, which imo makes this the better game.  Of course the graphics are way better too.  C

RSS