Forums

Help › Forums

Re: distance off the tee

Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:37 AM (7 replies)
  • FxNytro
    17 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:24 PM

Why is there a difference between the distance indicated in the upper right corner of the screen and the distance given when I hold my cursor over my ball on the tee?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2011 12:42 AM

Hi

I think one distance is the straight line from tee to flag but other follows the actual hole contours.

-wgticon

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 3:05 AM

the yardage in the top right is the "generic" yardage from from tee marker to centre of the green, just like the yardages on any scorecard at every golf club.

depending on which tee you play from - and to a lesser point - position of the pin, the yardage may change daily.

my warped sense of humour quite enjoys hitting the driver 0 yards on BP #9, then being 60 yards "closer" to the hole for the next shot :)

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 8:50 AM

I don't get it. Please explain.

Is it a thing being said here that means that the yardage displayed is not the actual yardage to the pin? (So that any calculation one makes would be based on the false premise of a nominal distance as opposed to Actual distance)

If this is the case from the tee, does also this mean that approach shots are affected in the same way?

Golly gee, and there was me thinking I had this game almost more or less in some ways a little bit worked out.

This game is indeed blecherous.

Lizzie xx

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 9:11 AM
    Hi Lizzie. yes, it's not straight because if you have to shape shots like on #5 CCC, you may have 400 straight at it but maybe 420 to actually hit drive and then 2nd shot. the reason it's 400 is because some may cut angle on left and may fly 410 total distance while others may go for right side and have to fly 425 total yardage -wgticon
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 9:59 AM

WGTicon:
    Hi Lizzie. yes, it's not straight because if you have to shape shots like on #5 CCC, you may have 400 straight at it but maybe 420 to actually hit drive and then 2nd shot. the reason it's 400 is because some may cut angle on left and may fly 410 total distance while others may go for right side and have to fly 425 total yardage -wgticon

Surely not the case for par threes...the measure is tee to hole, i certainly hope!!

H

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:24 AM

Thankyou Ike, I hereby declare the game un bletchered

Lizzie xx

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:37 AM

LizzieRossetti:

I don't get it. Please explain.

Lizzie xx

The op questioned the yardage when on the tee.

for nearly all par 4 and par 5 holes the yardage shown at the top right  "for the tee shot only" is not the actual yardage to the pin because the tee played from, can vary.

before teeing off check the blue dot on the mini map, the yardage will probably differ from that given in the top right corner.

once the tee shot has been played the yardage in the top right will be correct.

e.g.

the current yardage at master level for SA #1 is 369 yards ( which is straight by the way). This is just a generic yardage as the tee I am curently on is 349 from the pin.

..... :)      if I hit my driver 0 yards, then the yardage in the top right re-sets to the correct yardge of 349.

clear as mud eh   :)

RSS