Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Irons + full backspin

Sun, Feb 9 2020 3:30 PM (7 replies)
  • nerve60
    287 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 2:23 PM

Has anyone else noticed a significant decrease in distance while using Irons and full backspin? Here lately, my normal calculations are coming up 5 - 10 yards short on a lot of my approaches. 

PS/ This post is referring to PCEA.

• TopShelf2010
    10,897 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 2:53 PM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 3:12 PM

TopShelf2010:
    Unless I am mistaken, by applying Full Backspin, you are sending the ball higher into the air. This will cause the wind to affect the ball more drastically.

I think he knows that, he means they are coming up shorter that they usually do with full backspin.

My guess would be it's apparel related but I don't play that stuff.

• TopShelf2010
    10,897 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 3:16 PM

• MarchieB
    1,529 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 3:46 PM

nerve60:

Has anyone else noticed a significant decrease in distance while using Irons and full backspin? Here lately, my normal calculations are coming up 5 - 10 yards short on a lot of my approaches.

PS/ This post is referring to PCEA.

Nerve60, just to check off all the boxes in regards to what you're used to and what you are seeing now I'm assuming you have not changed balls or irons and both scenarios (Old dist. VS. New dist.) were both played on PCEA.

• Have you recently changed or upgraded any Apparel items?                   *Specifically you currently wear a shirt that adds iron backspin so if this is new or recently upgraded it might be the issue.
    • Are the old and new scenarios both played in the same type of game?  *Apparel Enhancements do not work in all types of games. So you could have been playing in games where the +Iron Backspin was not being applied (WGT / CC Tournaments) vs. games where the extra backspin from apparel could be the issue (head 2 head, single player ranked/practice rounds, clashes) Because of this you will have increased backspin ability in some games but not in others and this might affect the balls distance. This should be pretty easy to diagnose as you have Apparel that gives you +Driver and +3Wood Distance. So if you are seeing that your Driver is longer sometimes than other times then the backspin will be different too.

• nerve60
    287 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 8:21 PM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. After playing a few rounds today, I believe it is a combination with pcea factor with headwinds and full backspin. TopShelf is correct, 1/3 backspin got me back to my marks and the ball reacted appropriately after landing. 

Headwinds, from my experience, are affecting ball flight to a greater degree in new format vs. flash.

• MarchieB
    1,529 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 9:31 PM

Nerve60 exactly what type of “rounds” did you play to figure out the BS settings?

If all you changed to correct the issue was to alter from using a Full BS to a 1/3 BS then the issue is probably not that headwinds affect ball flight differently on PCEA vs. Flash.

The issue is more likely that the Apparel Enhancements (specifically the Level 7 Swing Edge Shirt you wear) in the new PCEA version is increasing the amount of Backspin you generate with your irons. 

Now I get that you corrected this by adjusting the amount of BS you put on the ball, but you also need to remember that if you happen to play in a WGT or CC Tournament where the Apparel Enhancements are disabled and you use your new BS settings you may start to overshoot the hole as you no longer generate the same amount of BS. The Apparel Enhancements do not work in all types of games. They are turned on in Head 2 Head, ranked or practice rounds, showdowns, clashes and turfwars. In WGT and CC tourneys they are turned off.

You might want to try changing your shirt to the basic shirt that has no enhancements and see how Full BS and 1/3 BS affect the balls distance in both a Ranked round and a WGT or CC Tournament .

• nerve60
    287 Posts
    Sun, Feb 9 2020 3:30 PM

Good points Marchie. Mostly, I was refering to CC and Tourny events. My coin room games are just for enjoyment of the game. However, I will be more mindful now that you have brought this to my attention.

RSS