Help › Forums

Re: 2 break putts

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:09 AM (5 replies)
  • Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 9:25 PM

WGT'ers,

I don't know if this is a bug or what it is.  But very often today I've been presented with a putt that has opposite breaks either side of the "line".  Meaning, it looks like if I aim left, it'll break back to the right.  If I aim right, it'll break back to the left.

Unfortunately, I've discovered only one is correct.  Despite the little white dots on one side, it actually takes the break of the other side - AGAINST the dots.

With some sarcasm, does anyone have a magic coin to toss?  Or any other method I can try?

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 9:39 PM

You either need to practice, or clear your cache and flash and whatnots and so forth.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:02 PM

takes a very practiced eye to differantuate which break is dominate, i follow both sets of dots to the first cross line, whichever gets thier 1st wins.  there are many times it's to close to tell i will aim directly to the center of the cup.  along with a good read you must have a good memory for these things, or take notes. i recommend notes.  good golfing,  my nickle.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:18 PM

Ecka65:

WGT'ers,

I don't know if this is a bug or what it is.  But very often today I've been presented with a putt that has opposite breaks either side of the "line".  Meaning, it looks like if I aim left, it'll break back to the right.  If I aim right, it'll break back to the left.

Unfortunately, I've discovered only one is correct.  Despite the little white dots on one side, it actually takes the break of the other side - AGAINST the dots.

With some sarcasm, does anyone have a magic coin to toss?  Or any other method I can try?

Try changing to chip view, it will give you a third look at the putt, bring the aimer close to the ball and take it all the way to the cup.    Its not 100% but it for the most part will give you the 3rd and deciding view.

Cheers,

b0gey

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:22 PM

It sounds like you are looking at a trough, where the ball will tend to run down the middle of the trough (some examples at Oakmont). The opposite situation would be a ridge, where the ball is tempted to roll off in one direction or the other (some examples at St. George's). Yes? 

A different situation is where you get conflicting reads from the front and back views, in which case the reverse view seems more reliable.

In either of these cases a little extra force helps straighten out the questionable break.

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:09 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.  I've noted all of them.  But as I've played more today I'm of a mind to put it down to "not my day on the deviation front."  I've had some really strange outcomes today from irons, wedges and putts.  If the inbuilt deviation (aka what precision is supposed to make smaller) acts like a pendulum, I've played enough holes today to think I'm right at the extreme of one end of that pendulum.

So if presented with another double breaker, I think I'll reference all of the advice, but if it is today or tomorrow I think I'll go with the coin toss method.  I may have to employ it with some of my irons too....

RSS