Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Best of Par 5

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:20 AM (9 replies)
  • Cenzo91
    23 Posts
    Fri, Dec 10 2021 9:01 AM

So hole 12 Best of Par 5 (St. Andrews can't recall what hole, maybe 14?) where you have the cart path down the right side off the tee box.  Used to be able to hit to the fairway to the left of that hole's fairway but tried it a few times today and now any ball hit over there is OB.  When did this change?  And why is it OB?  It shouldn't be.  If I want to play a fairway other than my own that's legal in real golf, not sure why it wouldn't be here.

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Dec 16 2021 1:58 AM

Take a look at the surface maps for hole 14 (left) and hole 5 (right) which has the fairway you are talking about...

...the only part of the fairway on hole 5 (right) that you can use on hole 14 (left) is what you can see here. Go off the edge of the surface map and you are OoB.

Just for clarity, the bright red is also lost ball territory (thick brush).

Here's another pic with the two holes together, with hole 14 outlined in light blue to show where it crosses over onto hole 5, go beyond that blue line and you're toast!

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Thu, Dec 16 2021 2:57 AM

Wonderful pics, Scott!

Cenzo91:
    And why is it OB?

IMHO, it's because they have no pictures so far left to show the players' views so far out of hole 14(?). Happens quite a few times, e.g. on OAK #4.

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Dec 16 2021 3:34 AM

Thank you alosso. WGT own the pics, I just bend them about.  : ))

WGT do advise caution when using the 5th fairway on the 14th, so you can't say they didn't warn you.

• Mythanatos
    2,216 Posts
    Thu, Dec 16 2021 7:00 AM

oakmont has a similar setup on a par 5. same thing tho. have to hit the fairway that's on the screen.  the right half is OB.

But it does cut off a significant amount of yards if can hit it. 

I forget the tourney. maybe the US amateur. anyway earlier this year some players at Oakmont were cutting corners and playing different fairways. I made the point on the PGA page that obviously some had played WGT. 

It's totally within the rules to play different fairways so they decided to do it. Helps that on the real course the whole fairway is in play. :)

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Thu, Dec 16 2021 6:30 PM

Mythanatos:
    It's totally within the rules to play different fairways so they decided to do it.
    No objections in WGT land, as you're alone on the course and nobody ever gets hurt.
    IRL, it's outright dangerous because you face opposite traffic of flying golf balls. Often enough, internal OOBs are made up to prevent this.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2021 6:54 AM

alosso:
    it's outright dangerous because you face opposite traffic of flying golf balls.

Adds Drama and Excitement to every game...

• Cenzo91
    23 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2021 10:07 AM

Makes absolutely zero sense they cut a fairway in half. 

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2021 2:32 PM

PureGro1:
    alosso:
    it's outright dangerous because you face opposite traffic of flying golf balls.

Adds Drama and Excitement to every game...

You'd stop laughing when transported to a hospital after a ball hit (happened to a guy in a tournament I participated) or if you see someone kill his own young child - read that in the news.

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:20 AM

Cenzo91:
    Makes absolutely zero sense they cut a fairway in half.

It would seem so, but enabling the use of other fairways would mean taking more photographs, that means more expense, and consequently that would be passed onto us as customers.

I also feel that if we could use the other fairways, people would start asking why the rough on the far side of those fairways is OoB and so on. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

RSS