Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Memories

Sun, Feb 13 2022 2:50 AM (8 replies)
  • BogeyOne
    1,987 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 7:24 AM

"e" "i" another slice of pie. another cup of coffee and I'll eat until I die. (This was one of my father's favorite sayings so many years ago and even his voice has long been silenced, I can still hear him saying it).

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 8:53 AM

That makes sense.

How about this from my mother. If I ever made myself a particularly thick sandwich she would say, "cut your hand?".

I never understood it, an I still don't.  😕

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 9:05 AM

I'm confused

Is it a question as spoke from your mom, or are you asking us?

The question mark is deceptive. Thus, different perceptions

If your mom asked you "did you cut your hand"? then it is self-explanatory

Or she may have been alluding to the size of the sandwich, meaning, you are grabbing way too much food..........

African axiom

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 10:03 AM

I made the sandwich, mum would say with a questioning intonation, "cut your hand?".

She didn't say, "have you cut your hand?".

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:16 AM

I believe she was referring to this Scott...

Since you didn't use the knife to cut your sandwich in smaller pieces, (you used the knife to) cut your hand? Kinda saying in irony mode why don't you use the knife to cut the sandwich in smaller pieces? It's there for this reason, not to cut your hand with it!!

:)

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 1:05 PM

Could be that Yiannis. It's a rather odd thing to say though. Thank you.  ; )

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 1:52 PM

Scott, you must've been a good obedient boy since you never bothered to ask your mom. My mom also used quite a few words & idioms I couldn't understand, but in my case, I always asked what the meaning (or the origin/background of it) was...

And BogeyOne, I think I know what is that like. Every now and then, out of the blue, there are moments that remind me of my late old man and I stand there absent-mindedly for a while. *Patting*

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2022 2:19 PM

I'm sure I would've asked her, but I don't have any memory of an answer. So either I didn't ask or she didn't know what it meant either. I think we do copy what others say without always knowing what phrases/sayings mean, so she may have got it from a relative and used it without knowing what it meant.

• BogeyOne
    1,987 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2022 2:50 AM

Slide rules.

RSS