Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What's the fastest, smoothest browser for WGT?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:14 PM (22 replies)
  • MickAnderson
    105 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2011 1:50 PM

YankeeJim:

MickAnderson:
     Is Comodo Dragon noticeably faster than Chrome to the extent that it would be worth installing that too just for WGT?

It isn't about being faster, Mick. Comodo Dragon is a Chrome product. Think of it as the Cadillac version with tighter security and better Flash handling. Chrome updates Flash automatically when the update is available. Chrome users find this out the hard way when the game goes sideways on them until the Flash issue gets ironed out. CD keeps on truckin'. 

Use Chrome for everything. Use CD for the game.

I see.  Why wouldn't you just use CD for everything?

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2011 1:50 PM

What about for Linux though?

CD isn't available (or likely to become available in the near future), for Linux.  What about running Firefox as my main browser and then switching to Chrome for playing the game?

Or does that still leave a guy with the auto-update issues that you mentioned?  I'm hoping not......since the Linux version of flash from Adobe's website didn't work for me to begin with, and I ended up installing it manually.

Tips, tricks, financial aid, winning lottery numbers (future draws only), and any advice that works to smooth out my meter.....are all greatly appreciated!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:14 PM

MickAnderson:
    Why wouldn't you just use CD for everything?

It's the "everything" that gets in the way. Your browser cache is a key to the game. It's where the stuff WGT sends your computer winds up. My thinking has always been to have nothing but WGT stuff in a browser cache and to do that you can't use it for other things that would need access to that cache.

I don't know if this is necessary but I've been doing it this way for over 2 years, always having a pristine browser dedicated to the game. I have zero issues with the Friends list and usually see a good 20-30 names active on it. It just works.

I can't speak about Linux because I don't know anything about it. I would imagine the dedicated browser would work anyway.  I might consider the other way around, though. FF for the game and Chrome for everything else. I believe FF lets you control when Flash gets updated where Chrome doesn't. 

RSS