Forums

Help › Forums

Re: hitting out of the rough

Mon, Nov 28 2011 4:51 PM (3 replies)
  • Yuletool
    5 Posts
    Wed, Nov 23 2011 4:43 AM

Can anyone give me some tips on how to calculate the ball distance when you are in the rough. i have figures out how to calculate elevation, wind, etc but still seem unable to get the lie adjustment. if i am laying 40% -50% or 20% -30% it seems to be a hit or miss type shot. i cannot seem to get any consistency.

For instance lets say the hole is 60yards and i have  20%-30% lie. I though i should calculate a 85 yard club - 25% and that would give me 60 yards. but as  i said this doesn't deliver any consistency. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Yuletool.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 23 2011 8:21 AM

For starters, don't use the lie numbers like that. They don't mean add a certain %, it's how much of the ball is buried. Think in terms of how many yards per rough you have to add. An easy way to get close to figuring this out is by adding 1 club for 30-40 rough, add 2 for 40-50 and punch to safety from 50-60 or worse. Play 20-25 like thick fairway that will usually cause to ball to roll a little more.

In your example, I would punch that shot with my choked 60W (68 yards) knowing that punch doesn't roll out a lot. Experiment with the different shots to see what works for you. GL

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Nov 23 2011 11:11 AM

The rough also affects different clubs differently... the lower the loft, the greater the effect.

• jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 28 2011 4:51 PM

You'll find a plethora of different responses to this question. None will be wrong, but all will be different.

The simple answer to your question is, "There is no simple formula" since so much of the answer is derived from various factors. Elevation, wind speed and direction, terrain, ball type, club selection and club qualities, etc.

Here are two things I've learned that may help you get closer to an answer:

1. Mishits are amplified by rough. The deeper the rough, the more amplified.

2. In the rough, backspin will give you a cleaner hit and it will be closer to the club's true yardage (I expect the naysayers to come out in force on that one).

I factor in as many of the variables as my pea-sized brain can deal with, but in the end, just like in real golf, it's largely a matter of feel. While WGT golf is algorithm based and (ultimately) can be boiled down to equations, those equations are so ridiculously convoluted that you might be better off trying to come up with a unified field theory.

RSS