Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Can't hit reduced power driver

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 30 2024 2:46 PM (2 replies)
  • kcjt1985
    3 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2024 9:12 AM

In head to head games, when I try and hit driver at 90% to reduce distance, it still flies the full distance. Annoying, especially on Wolf Creek 13 where I overfly the green every time with driver but 3W doesn't have the length to get there. 

Any ideas?

• Bluto346
    82 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2024 12:36 PM

kcjt1985:

In head to head games, when I try and hit driver at 90% to reduce distance, it still flies the full distance. Annoying, especially on Wolf Creek 13 where I overfly the green every time with driver but 3W doesn't have the length to get there. 

Any ideas?

Assuming you are indeed hitting the driver @ 90% in the above situation, and assuming you're using 100% full backspin when taking that much off a driver, while you still might be knocking the ball over that green depending on wind conditions and tee boxes, your carry distances should still be somewhere around 30 yards short of hitting your driver full out.

The 13th @ Wolf Creek is a tricky shot with certain winds. If the shot is playing with the wind at your back, it can be difficult to hold that green no matter how much you back off on your driver. As an aside, the more you DO back off on the driver, the less spin you're imparting, and the ball will have the tendency to really take off once it lands on that hole, especially when the wind is behind you. It's almost a no-win situation. You either don't carry the mountain range, or you go long and depending on green speeds, have a tough up and down.

The above is assuming the back pin position. The front left pin is easier to deal with sometimes, but still has its own set of challenges.

• BlackBogey
    484 Posts
    Mon, Sep 30 2024 2:46 PM

In addition to what Bluto346 said, keep in mind in coin rooms you have whatever apparel boosts where most other WGT events you don't. 

If you play primarily in coin rooms I guess it wouldn't make much difference.  But if you only go in the coin rooms once in a while and base you "normal" driver distance on non-coin rooms, you need to figure extra distance (depending what apparel you have on and what level it's at).

My Driver/Ball combo go about 310 with FBS and 100% power without apparel (no wind), but goes about 325 in coin rooms with L9 Swing Edge hat.

RSS