Forums

Help › Forums

Re: wedges

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:59 PM (5 replies)
  • orlandomb
    4 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 11:42 AM

How do players get away with using a wedge in place of a putter on a putting green?  On a real golf course; that would be a reason to boot a player off the course because it is a dilberate act to destroy the surface.

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 1:42 PM
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 1:56 PM

Ya, it's legal, orlando, just getting a little out of hand. Instead of using it as a means to overcome an unusual situation, a lot of players are doing it instead of putting because they're too friggin lazy to learn how to putt. I have to bite my tongue when some op uses it 25 feet from the hole.

I do laugh and comment when it comes up short or wide simply because the closest I've seen one of those shots get to the pin was 2.5 feet. Only once have I seen one of those shots go past the hole. I have seen a crapload of putts made from the same distances, though. Go figure. It's definitely legal but is it all that smart?  :-)

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:22 PM

It's legal but rarely done IRL, in part because it's really hard because of the super tight lie. WGT should make it more difficult, like, hit the ding or you're dead difficult. It would still be possible, but very risky.

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:43 PM

LeonDelBosque:
    WGT should make it more difficult, like, hit the ding or you're dead difficult. It would still be possible, but very risky.

I remember my old Links LS 2000 game for bunker shots.  The sweet spot (ding) for bunker shots  was short of the normal ding.  That way it wasnt a shot you were accustomed to taking so if you missed it you flubbed your shot. 

Happy Golfing

Joe

• bittydog
    623 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:59 PM

I use that shot if my lie is more than 30 feet or there is a large hill in the way. I just double the distance to the pin after adjusting for the slope on the last 50% of the green, Set up a full shot with no back spin, And i make it to with in 1 yard 75% of the time. I would putt from way out there if WGT fixed the grids so that what you see is really what you get. 

RSS