Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Christmas traditions

Tue, Dec 20 2011 12:16 PM (8 replies)
  • IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 11:50 PM

I posted something on another thread for Christmas, and it got me thinking about the different things different people do at Christmas time. I am going to be spending my first non-traditional Christmas this year, so I guess I am thinking quite a bit about what Christmas is to me.

In North America, we are very blessed to be very multicultural. Some of the greatest things about culture is the food and tradition. 

I guess I should start, so...

Christmas for me is the family all together, Christmas eve, a fire going, and then the feasting begins. Christmas is not Christmas until I am filled up with ackee and salt fish, roti, plantain, turkey, stuffing, sweet potato, dumplings....mmmm!!! Then spending just quieter time with each other and singing some carols. Then heading to church for midnight mass. When we get home, Santa always seemed to have made an appearance, and we would open presents and laugh. To me, that is Christmas.

Your turn! How do you all celebrate the season? Or, what makes Christmas, Christmas, for you?

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:19 AM

i am 60  reading your post ,post like yours,loving family, friends,peace and love .....food you mentioned ,makes me hungry,, :)  TV shows,brings memory of my younger years,mostly ,at my age (or any age)  music Christmas music  ,will give me the blues,in a good way ,,,,,,act of goodness,is in all of us ......and another year going like a flying star,closer to the unknown.....i just hope your post ,my post and many to follow,will keep the Christmas spirit going    :)  Francois( Montreal) wishing you all Merry Christmas .,may 2012 brings peace in this (are) world .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 5:42 AM

IvaThongon:
    what makes Christmas, Christmas, for you?

Cooking real food for my in-laws. LOL. I married in to a very Italian family that raved about gross stuff like cardoons, shoe leather steak, bland sauces over the requisite pasta and basically blah menus. Before my wife and I married we lived together for 6 years. The first Christmas together I suggested we start a tradition and have the family over for Christmas Eve. I would handle the menu and the cooking but they had to have what I made. She wasn't too keen on this because she was afraid they wouldn't lke the food. Not to worry, I said, they will.

24 family members from the quasi-matriarch to the youngest kid (8 years old) showed up the first year! I suspect it was more out of curiosity than anything but they were knocked out by stuffed tenderloin, smashed twice baked potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, classic green bean casserole (the one Campbell's pushes with my twists,), broccoli carrots and pearl onions, fresh hot rolls and salad. LMAO-there were no leftovers and 20 years later the pressure of what to serve this year ties me up. Their expectations have me scrambling to top the monster I created and Christmas Eve is now our Christmas.  

p.s., Stuffed flank steak this year.  :-)

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 8:27 AM

yamkeeJim,verry nice tradition ,makes me want to join your( famillia)    have a good time    :) 

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 7:23 PM

Ha, Jim, that is a great tradition!!! I am such a foodie, I love any story dealing with eating...especially holiday ones!!!

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 7:27 PM

Francois...Merry Christmas!!!

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 6:15 AM

YankeeJim:
    p.s., Stuffed flank steak this year.  :-)

Im in, sounds great.!!!!!!!

• Minkywinkster
    1,777 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 12:16 PM

Christmas is hard on my liver always....my birthday on the 23rd, my wife's birthday on Christmas Eve and of course another famous birthday on the 25th...

RSS