Forums

Help › Forums

Re: why

Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:40 AM (5 replies)
  • 5hooter
    29 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 3:35 AM

On the fairway, wind with me, 34 yrds from the pin, i select a 9 iron for 60yrds, WHY when i hit it over 50% does it only go 18 yrds on a Full shot ?  please fix your game its stupid when this happens and you ruin a round with bad scripts or what ever run this game.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:35 AM

If you hit a 9 iron 50%, that's what you will get. Work on those wedges. Every club has a purpose, and work best with full shots, or nearly full shots. This is just my experience, I may be wrong. Hopefully, some of the better players will pitch in and help ya out. 

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:40 AM

5hooter:

On the fairway, wind with me, 34 yrds from the pin, i select a 9 iron for 60yrds, WHY when i hit it over 50% does it only go 18 yrds on a Full shot ?  please fix your game its stupid when this happens and you ruin a round with bad scripts or what ever run this game.

Simple physics mate.  When you hit 50% of the meter, that doesn't mean it will go 50% of the maximum length, it means your avatar will complete 50% of a backswing.  If you play golf at all in real life you should realize that if you only take 1/2 a backswing the ball will not travel half as far as if it were a full swing, assuming you were to use the same tempo on both swings.

• StarryRose
    6 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:27 PM

5hooter:

I'm by far no expert on this issue nor would I consider myself a great player, however, I can understand what you are saying.  As  a math teacher I was inclined to follow the logic that if I hit it half way, or 50% the ball should follow that percentage and go half the distance.  I learned the hard way that this was not the case!  

For me I look at increments.  If I know how much roughly a swing is worth I  can hit the ball a bit more precise! I just don't do percentages anymore, they just aren't accurate when determining distance on the meter!  Anyway, my two cents! Good luck in  your game!

Rose :)

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:14 AM

what the hell are you useing a 9 iron for a 34 yard shot? Don't you have a 60 degree wedge? sheesh

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:40 AM

StarryRose:

5hooter:

I'm by far no expert on this issue nor would I consider myself a great player, however, I can understand what you are saying.  As  a math teacher I was inclined to follow the logic that if I hit it half way, or 50% the ball should follow that percentage and go half the distance.  I learned the hard way that this was not the case!  

For me I look at increments.  If I know how much roughly a swing is worth I  can hit the ball a bit more precise! I just don't do percentages anymore, they just aren't accurate when determining distance on the meter!  Anyway, my two cents! Good luck in  your game!

Rose :)

A simplfied response to your remark that 50% of something is a half of something.  not so when you are dealing with a prescison(?) device such as a club face, they are designed to do what they do in a very small area of the complete surface.  Therefor we have multipul clubs to cover all of the yardages (to include the punch) we may encounter during a game.  It is said that the portion of the club face at the top 25% or so of its usable range is the most accurate and falls off very fast after that.  Think of an extreme bell curve with a slightly rounded top and a pointed bottem.  my nickle.

RSS