Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Immoveable object

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 3 2012 4:18 AM (2 replies)
  • Fatherbrown
    282 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:47 AM

St. Andrew's 1st hole.  2nd stroke/shot for 67 yards, using Nike ball & Cleveland's CG16 60 wedge level (78+). I punch 68 yards, litle back spin.  Ball goes 62 yards against 16 mile per hour wind, rolls back to the edge of the water wall WITH OUT going in the water hazard.   IMMOVEABLE OBJECT (Free Drop).   Ball is on the green side of the pin.  After game loads the next play, ball is place on the fairway.  It's now my 3rd shot.   Remember, I didn't lose ball to hazard.  What the heck is a free drop?  When I don't get to play back my 2nd stroke/shot?               Yeah, after reading this over b4 I sent to post, I now realize that back spin against the wind wasn't the right choice, but that's not what the question is about.

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:36 AM

Fatherbrown:

St. Andrew's 1st hole.  2nd stroke/shot for 67 yards, using Nike ball & Cleveland's CG16 60 wedge level (78+). I punch 68 yards, litle back spin.  Ball goes 62 yards against 16 mile per hour wind, rolls back to the edge of the water wall WITH OUT going in the water hazard.   IMMOVEABLE OBJECT (Free Drop).   Ball is on the green side of the pin.  After game loads the next play, ball is place on the fairway.  It's now my 3rd shot.   Remember, I didn't lose ball to hazard.  What the heck is a free drop?  When I don't get to play back my 2nd stroke/shot?               Yeah, after reading this over b4 I sent to post, I now realize that back spin against the wind wasn't the right choice, but that's not what the question is about.

A free drop means that you never dropped a shot. If you had, your next shot would have been your 4th shot. On a free drop the ball is dropped in a position directly in line with the hole but no nearer. Hence you were dropped the other side of the hazard. You must have been sitting on the wall of the water hazard, hence the Immovable Object.

Hope this helps

MEL1950

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2012 4:18 AM

i take it you don't play golf

the basic rule of golf is play the ball as it lies

sometimes though, a man made obstacle can get in the way of hitting the ball

, in most instances you will be allowed a free drop.

the video on this rules page gives a quick guide

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=24&subRuleNum=2

if the man made object is declared as integral to the course, then no free drop. no matter how awkward it is to play

for an example watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDVw-EVOkY

RSS