Forums

Help › Forums

Just curious, g20 and wind shot

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 4 2012 9:27 AM (9 replies)
  • TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 12:22 PM

I have to ask the question. if this was you, what would you expect.

Im playing with the g20 level 83 iron set. im on hole 8 (par 3) at st andrews, and i have a 26 mph wind right up my tailpipe. the hole is 181 yards away, at the near end of the green to you as you tee off. how would you play this shot. 

Heres what i did. i figured i would use my 155 yard iron full power, with a little backspin to lift it, and maybe end up a little short of the hole. i dinged that sucker. should i at least end up on the green, or how far would you expect my dinged shot to travel at least?

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 12:34 PM

G-20 7 iron, half backspin, Callaway will go 155 with no wind, dinged. 26 mph tailwind in theory could carry you an additional 24 yards for 179- but more likely it would go about 170ish. Tailwinds seem often to be less of a factor than headwinds. On that shot, I would recommend you use your 6 iron, full backspin normal carry 165 - but more time in the air - which should put you right on 180-185 (including elevation) - and you won't be short, will stop dead. 

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 12:39 PM

I don't use the G20's but I would expect that shot to go about 165yards. 

Looking at the replay I would say that was about right.

I know when I was using the G10's that my 7i would lose a lot of its rated distance with ANY back spin, is it the same for the G20s?

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 12:47 PM

DannyPhan:
    I know when I was using the G10's that my 7i would lose a lot of its rated distance with ANY back spin, is it the same for the G20s?

7 iron rated 155 goes 150 full backspin, premium balls. No spin, 160. 

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 2:27 PM

thanks for the replys folks. we all know the shot can carry more with a wind like that, but i was expecting more than the extra 5 yards i got. granted, the point of landing was in the thick rough, but still, 5 yards with that wind? the replay is saved, as has been noted by danny. ive often hit a similar shot with similar conditions, and the ball would travel at least an extra 15-20 yards before contact with the ground. ah well, next time i will just go with the long putt or shot back to the hole. cheers.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 3:05 PM

The shot you describe as 'normal' with a 7 iron would still have been short 5-10 yards...its 6 iron with backspin with G20's and that wind. No 7 iron shot is going 180 yards, ever....

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 2:08 AM

From experience and reading tons of posts on the effect of wind, I would totally agree that it would be well short of 180 with no spin.  I've noticed that distance is impacted less by the wind the shorter you go with your irons (despite hitting my 58+ G20 PW 128 yds tonight).

With my mid to long irons, I figure on about half the speed of the wind impact on the distance, about 1/3rd with anything below a 5i, even with bs. 155 with 26 mph would get me thinking in the 160-165 range at best.  Head and tail winds I've got a decent feel for - cross winds?  I may as well be whistling in the wind on those.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 3:08 AM

Well, it depends on a number of factors, i.e whether you are playing a RG and just made 3 birdies prior, or  shooting a great score and need birdie to make some mark, or you are 3 up in a MPC.

All these need to be factored in to your calcs.

All these corporate do no wrong people telling you, yeah that's about right 5 extra yards, what a freaken joke, I thought subliminal messages were banned, how the heck can there be so many corporate do no wrong thinkers out there, and why are they mostly young, and why are they mostly from the same country.

What the heck are they feeding you people there, or is it all the corporate influence on the education system. HMMM

IMHO that shot could of went anywhere from 144 to 262 yards.

• woodworkerjunkie
    237 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 8:22 AM

It's ok Steve, go take another snort and call us in the morning.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 9:27 AM

woodworkerjunkie:

It's ok Steve, go take another snort and call us in the morning.

hahahaha a 3am post! snort is right!

RSS