R11. 8 iron not consistant

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 15 2012 11:45 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:21 PM

TarheelsRule:

I have found no issues with any of the R11 irons except the PW and the only issue I seem to have with this club is when I hit a shot at about 90%, punch works great, full shot great, it just seems to get a110 yard shot isn't easy for this club, I seem to be short and long with it equally, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have the R11s, but maybe it's a bad combination of spin and distance. I think that with all irons the less powerful the shot will be, the less spin needed. That's just my two cents. I think the Burner 2.0s have a problem when the spin and power isn't combined at the right ratio.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:34 PM

I read this post so having this in mind, went & played Olympic.

I was on #10 & I remembered what you said about the 8 iron so I was real careful

I had a 13 mph cross wind, 145 to the hole,,5 ft. elev. down?

I adjusted for the wind over & dinged it 145 right on the nozzle.

The ball sailed 10 yrds. above the hole!

So I'm starting to agree with your post, I was shocked that it bombed the hole by that far.

• DMcFee
    3 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:39 PM

I've had issues all day with the R11's. If you miss the ding, hold on to your balls! I missed a ding to the right by an 1/8 of an inch and the ball sailed 15yds to the right of the green. Its like the forgiveness has been turned off.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2012 3:28 AM

mmikkeelee:

i have to bring this 1 up, i was going for the green on congressional par5. 3wood 248 yards to the pin 9mph straight tailwind...

i aim left for a bit of comfort take the shot but i hit the ding on the right side but wasnt quite on the ding and the ball flys off about 40 yrds right splash in the water lol i couldnt beleive it..

Missing the ding by a fraction on the wind side on this hole will always certainly cause you to end up in the water, its always been like this near water, best thing is to play safe and miss ding on side opposite to wind.  Also the alignment of the green seems to be a bit to the right, i've noticed this by exaggerating shot by aiming extreme left, yet ball only just makes it on to the narrow part front of green right near the paving trim around the water.  So for 10 mph wind you sort of need to aim for 15 mph and not the indicated 10.

DMcFee:
    Its like the forgiveness has been turned off.

Playing th Open qualifier, it definitely seems as the forgiveness has gone.  I know WGT can alter clubs when they feel like it, its there in the T&C, but if thats the case (not saying it is) it shouldn't be right.  We've paid for R11 irons because of the 3 dot forgiveness, thats what shows up in the pro shop, so to suddenly lower it to say 1 would be a back handed sly one.  But i think its only occuring in the open qualifier, thats all i've been playing, but i did play a ctth at congressional yesterday and really noticed that if i missed ding by a fraction the ball would go wildly off course.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2012 11:04 AM

I have only had the R11's for about 10 days. They are less forgiving than the G20's they replaced, but the performance when you hit the correct shot is obviously fabulous, especially having a 3 iron that means your 3 wood can stay in the bag most of the time and who needs a hybrid with that 4 iron? 

As for Olympic, I would agree the VEM is set to 'ha ha ha' much of the time - it isn't tee to green so much as the hole seems very small there- and you need to throw darts at those holes to break 60. And if you don't hit the fairway, kiss birdie good bye.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2012 11:45 AM

skccvb:

I have only had the R11's for about 10 days. They are less forgiving than the G20's they replaced, but the performance when you hit the correct shot is obviously fabulous, especially having a 3 iron that means your 3 wood can stay in the bag most of the time and who needs a hybrid with that 4 iron? 

As for Olympic, I would agree the VEM is set to 'ha ha ha' much of the time - it isn't tee to green so much as the hole seems very small there- and you need to throw darts at those holes to break 60. And if you don't hit the fairway, kiss birdie good bye.

I'm not to the level where I can try the R11s yet, but the level 79 Burners are similar...loft a high 3-iron that stops on a dime, etc.  I've still got the G20s but as I get more used to the Burners I'm really starting to like them.

• PAGES
RSS