Forums

Help › Forums

What's the secret to reading the break of a green?

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 27 2012 5:13 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Fri, May 25 2012 12:33 AM

I've watched the tutorial vids and know that the faster the 'dots' go, the more pronounced the break is and I know to use the reverse cam to get a closer look, but I still can't seem to get my aim right.  I either put too much break or not enough.  I'm close, which makes it even more frustrating, but just can't seem to figure it out.  What secret do you use to determine where to aim?  Thanks

• chris2345
    528 Posts
    Fri, May 25 2012 12:56 AM

There's no secret as such, just with alot of practice in time it will slowly come. 

It's probably the hardest part of the game just like in RL, but it's where you can seriously lower you're scores, and it plays a big part of how the elite players can score so well.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Fri, May 25 2012 1:12 AM

Pukie I used to use my aim arrow also. But since people think its a secret here Ill tell you what helped my putting a great deal.

If it breaks left instead of aiming right miss the stupid ding on the right. And vice versa. Now where to miss the ding ? That takes repetition and practice. It was very frustrating not only trying to aim the stupid line properly then you had to hit the ding.

Now that may not be the best way and I am in now way an elite player but at least I dont want to yank my hair out everytime I miss a putt.

• washndry1
    121 Posts
    Fri, May 25 2012 1:29 AM

lol itz a b we know greens in a fun way are hell and putting can be like the devils pitchfork its tough many factors to consider type of ball speed of green and finger lol seems harder I try more I miss when I am relaxed and dont care alot  it just goes in ;] if you are of age and partake 2-3 shots of youre favorite fermented beverage may help ;] clears the fog that holds you back or makes you over think youre shot. good luck player.replay fer ya--->MISSING LINE DOES HELP IT ALWAYS COM PIN SATE POWER LIL LOL 

A 200Y PUTT I WISH WAS MINE ) COPY AND PASTE ON TOP U KNOW DONT FALL OUT OF CHAIR LOL

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=1097bdd1-d349-4568-8fa9-9d4701630143

• pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 1:44 AM

Thanks all.  And Chris, you're right.  It is the hardest, most frustrating part of the game for me so far.  Not just reading greens, but putting in general.  I cannot tell you how many birdie putts I've left on the lip or that have rolled tantilizingly close to the cup - only to somehow miss by less than the smallest of fractions.  Or my favorite - I hit the ding, the ball is on a perfect line to the cup, but at the last second, some obscure 'break' pops up and veers the ball to the side of the hole.  Love that one.  Because of this, I sometimes really think the game is messing with me.  Oh well, guess I'm going to take washndry's advice and have a few.  

Thanks again everyone.

• ladzrls
    286 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 4:17 AM

pukiebear:

Thanks all.  And Chris, you're right.  It is the hardest, most frustrating part of the game for me so far.  Not just reading greens, but putting in general.  I cannot tell you how many birdie putts I've left on the lip or that have rolled tantilizingly close to the cup - only to somehow miss by less than the smallest of fractions.  Or my favorite - I hit the ding, the ball is on a perfect line to the cup, but at the last second, some obscure 'break' pops up and veers the ball to the side of the hole.  Love that one.  Because of this, I sometimes really think the game is messing with me.  Oh well, guess I'm going to take washndry's advice and have a few.  

Thanks again everyone.

Hey there,

If your missing a lot of putts stopping shy or turning at last minute then its possible you arent hitting it hard enough, i always  add 2ft of length to a putt to give the putt a chance, if it aint goin to go past the hole it never will go in.

With putts that are short 1ft-5ft  i try to just smash em in, this sometimes leaves me 3-4ft past hole if i have a MOMENT but in most cases  results in the break being taken out of contention.

lastly the method i use is to move the marker and try to hit ding, but a golden rule here i feel is if you are not gonna hit the ding make sure you miss it on the correct side, so if you are aiming left make sure you dont miss the dingto the right as this will kill you r aim.

Another tactic i use is to mostly use my 50ft putter scale as this slows the meter down and makes it easier to ding. i hardly ever use the 15ft scale or the 25ft scale.

hope this helps

regards

ladzrls

• sbjorn
    41 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 8:07 AM

Takes time and practice to figure out the dots and breaks, but I do have a general rule for the breaks.

If the dots are moving at what appears to be average speed (You'll get a feel for this pretty quickly) ...

A 15 foot putt will break one grid box

A 25 footer will break two grid boxes

A 35 will break three

If you get a feel for these averages, then the fun will be in learning the putts when the dots are raining!

I hope this helps some ...

GL

Sbjorn

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 8:44 AM

Best way to read the break is to buy break reading glasses, available now from optical express for 45,000 credits

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 8:55 AM

A lot is made about distance control, but I find that relatively easy compared with reading anything but a slight break. It may be my imagination, but going from tour pro to master, the breaks seem a little trickier.

pukiebear, if I barely miss from 30+ feet I say "good lag putt" even though I was trying to make it :) With patience the birdies will come.

• PAGES
RSS