Forums

Help › Forums

Putting..

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 29 2012 7:40 AM (2 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 7:10 AM

I'm ok till 8ft..BUT been playing with masters lately & they're in a diff league...obviously...Is it all about touch & experience or is there some kind of formula I should learn..?? someone I played with yesterday was telling his partner about elevation,add 1, times this divided by that & was telling him ,hit 67% , hit 33%  etc...& It worked !!!  or will I just keep getting better ?  ty in advance 4 help..

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 7:15 AM

I would say that distance can be done mathematically but actually reading how a putt will break is much more about feel. It's the one thing that separates the really good players from the rest imo. When I look at how many shots I waste a round putting I figure I could be shooting in the 50s.

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 7:40 AM

Distance: This works for me:

add/subtract 1 foot for each inch the putt goes uphill/downhill.

Take that number and divide by:

.9 for slow greens

1.0 for standard

1.1 for fast

1.2 for very fast

1.3 for tournament

And use the result as your putting distance. However, inside 10' is different, usually you will want to hit it somewhat harder, and inside of 3' you can usually ram the ball in, perhaps aim slightly to the right or left depending on the severity of the break.

There are two basic methods for how far to move the meter. The percentage method and the avatar movement method. There are some formulas for the percentage method (what % to move the meter) floating around if you do a search, but I use the avatar movement method.

The avatar movemnet method consists of seeing how many times your avatar draws back the putter for each scale and converting that to feet, for example 2 1/2 times for 15' scale = 6-6-3 feet, 5 times for 30' = 6-6-6-6-6 feet. Using the number you calculate above move the avatar the appropriate amount.  

But I think that relatively easy compared to reading anything but a slight break. That just comes from playing a lot. 

There are also some rather longish and complex formulas floating around for distance and  breaks if you do a search, but the math above is about as far as I want to go,  it is a matter of personal preference. 

Sources:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/89159/565243.aspx#565243

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/22186/126517.aspx#126517

RSS