Forums

Help › Forums

Missing the Backspin indicator

Sat, Jun 2 2012 1:09 PM (22 replies)
  • phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 5:33 PM

My apologies if you are not a sandbagger DP, but answering questions with that sort of comment usually don't lead to positive responses.  Apparently WGTadmin2 thought it somewhat provoking as well.  I always try to be civil with others

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 6:34 PM

:)

HAWK

• SeamusMurray
    7 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 7:33 PM

Right or wrong here is my position. First off, using a wedge on the green is not illegal agreed. Using the wedge on the green on WGT is a shot that I have perfected and used mostly when I'm approximately 30+ feet from the hole. It had become part of my game that I perfected. In the blink of an eye WGT has sought fit to take that away from me, I am seriously pissed off with the fools in WGT that sought fit to move the goalposts. In my opinion the fools in WGT responsible for this crazy decision should say oops and restore the game back to the way it was. In real golf is not illegal to put a divit on the green. It may upset the greenkeepers. But it's not against the rules of golf. I am not going to spend any more money on clubs or golf balls by way of protest to this stupid decision made by WGT. 

If it is not rectified very quickly. I will give up playing the game altogether. I can only conclude that using a wedge on the green only upset the people that can't do it. If WGT was interested in introducing some realism into the game they would give us a ball retriever so we can retrieve balls go into the water like one can on a real golf course. WGT should also consider really introducing an extremely heavy penalty for quitters. Yet they don't seem to do that either. They recently introduced a system where you can ban a player from sending you invitations. I presume this was intended to block quitters. The really stupid thing about this blocking mechanism is that you have to friend a person that you want to block. They would be much better punishing quitters instead. Anyway is just another demonstration of the lack of joined up thinking that is sometimes in the boardrooms of WGT. So I'm looking forward to the ability to putting backspin on the ball when using a wedge on the green like one can do on real golf. Wake-up WGT decision-makers and smell the Coffey, fools you cannot or should not move the goalposts ever. Now fix it. Sincerely, Séamus Murray

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 7:45 PM

YankeeJim:
    Here's a challenge for you HDB-find a divot on a green that a pro made using that legal shot. Better yet, do you even know how to put spin on a ball IRL? It takes a ferocious divot to do that the way it happens here.

Dang Jim,

Ya know I never want to go against ya pal, but....

If you are/can/willing to repair the green, then hit the smack the xxxx out of it.

But like has been mentioned before, might be  a course rule, personally I'll take my 3 putt before spending 10 minutes to fix my divot on the green.

Now the Pros?

Well,, they have caddies for  that!

• PORKASAURUS
    55 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:18 PM

if youre able to putt well its not a necessary shot to learn anyway.  i hit myself upside the head when i 3-putt, as rare as that is

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:42 PM

This is true and happened recently on a regular golf course here in Thailand. A Korean gentleman missed a putt and angrily banged his putter into the green , causing some damage. At the end of his round his caddie reported his actions and the club fined him 5000 Baht for each centimetre of damage, total cost 20,000 Baht and banned him for life.

Here's a replay.aspx?ID=41ebc578 ef68 4589 a270 a063016242da for you, moments ago

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:09 PM

SeamusMurray:
    First off, using a wedge on the green is not illegal agreed. Using the wedge on the green on WGT is a shot that I have perfected and used mostly when I'm approximately 30+ feet from the hole.

We all know that it is not against the rules.....you can still hit a wedge on the green...all you have to do is ease off a little to allow for the roll.

I have been playing golf for the past 30 years...I have never had to resort to using a wedge on any green nor have I use one on this virtual game. I have yet to get stuck behind an obstacle that completely blocks my putting line (e.g. bunker or an area of rough) which would then require the use of a wedge. If I ever find myself in that situation I will use a wedge....not one bit upset with the spin change here.

Are you telling us that you use your wedge regularly on all the real golf courses you play on & take divots...?....and that you never putt outside 30 feet.....that is unrealistic

Phil Mickelson hit a wedge on a green in a Tournament to get over an obstacle*, not to avoid the slope or contours on the green (which seems to be the objective of players on here who regularly use a wedge on the greens from all distances), he took it clean off the deck without leaving a mark & allowed for the roll up to the hole.....all other greens he putted out.....that is realistic

Just sayin'

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQ3PDDhFuw

• SeamusMurray
    7 Posts
    Fri, Jun 1 2012 6:50 PM

Dear Mara, 

Thank you for your reply to my post. Yes, you're quite correct. I can still use the wedge on the green and I am starting to get the hang of hitting a little easier and allowing the ball to roll up to the hole. 

I too have been playing real golf for the past 30 years and like you I have never had to resort to using a wedge on a real green. It truthfully has never crossed my mind to do so. But I know I can do it I so decide. Also to do so I believe would go against good etiquette and it would be a crying shame in my opinion to damage a real green. I have often used a seven iron to tap a ball into the hole and I bet you have done so also. But there is one very important thing you have to remember about playing golf on WGT, It's a Video Game. How could you compare it to real golf? In a video game, the physical way you play shots should never ever ever ever ever change. (Apologies for the bad grammar) so now I hope you have some understanding of my frustration with the extremely stupid decisions WGT designers/management have decided to make. This is so stupid you wait-and-see it's going to end up being an episode on South Park.

Playing golf on WGT I am afforded the ability to put backspin on a drive. I would have no clue as to how to do this while playing real golf. So on this basis WGT might wake up some morning and decide to remove this capability on the WGT videogame. They need to cop onto themselves and realise that you should never ever change the way you take shots. They can always add improvements never take away something that is there. 

I'm going to let slide some of your sarcastic remarks as it really wasn't being very helpful to your position, especially when I take into consideration that it obviously hasn't dawned on you that WGT golf is a video game and not real golf. 

I thank you for the YouTube link to Phil Mickelson, I thoroughly enjoyed it, many thanks.

Sincerely, Séamus Murray

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:03 AM

SeamusMurray:
    I'm going to let slide some of your sarcastic remarks as it really wasn't being very helpful to your position, especially when I take into consideration that it obviously hasn't dawned on you that WGT golf is a video game and not real golf. 

LOL.......wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all.....

Of course I understand your frustration & also that this a video game....I have come across players on this site who hit wedges on the greens, up to 5ft (!), more than they putt...

Happy golfing....I'll ping you for a game sometime if your green (excuse pun..!)

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:45 AM

I just hope they don't stop us putting with our drivers next.

RSS