Forums

Help › Forums

Missing the Backspin indicator

Sat, Jun 2 2012 1:09 PM (22 replies)
  • phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 7:53 AM

Noticed it this morning when on a green with a really long shot and obstructed, started to hit a full shot on the green and there is no backspin dot to adjust?  What is up with that?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 7:56 AM

Think about it. While the shot is legal, in order to get spin on a ball  you need to take a divot. Go ahead and use the shot but now you have to use it the way pros do-without the divot.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 8:38 AM

phiber:

Noticed it this morning when on a green with a really long shot and obstructed, started to hit a full shot on the green and there is no backspin dot to adjust?  What is up with that?

WOW you got internet access in that cave? 

check this out, it explains all the NEW stuff here

View article...

;)

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:16 AM

Oh be nice, phiber we made the change this morning so it was easy to miss.  It was unintended to allow people to apply full backspin to a shot on the green, so we removed the ability to put backspin on a shot taken from the green.

Have fun and take care

• HDBanger
    348 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:20 AM

LOL how was it "unintended"?  There is no rule about taking a divot on the green, no rule about using a wedge on the green, and no rule about not using backspin on the green.  So for all the people who cry "realism", there is a diff between realism and what some of you like to call "respect for the game". If the shot is legal in RL, why is it now "unintended" on WGT, unintentional bugs/shots that have been around for 5 years?  Laughable at best. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:27 AM

Here's a challenge for you HDB-find a divot on a green that a pro made using that legal shot. Better yet, do you even know how to put spin on a ball IRL? It takes a ferocious divot to do that the way it happens here.

FWIW, last Sunday on a real green I took my 60 wedge and tried chipping. Not to make anything, just to see what would be involved in the shot. It's actually quite easy to pick the ball off the surface but hugely hard to control without trying it a ton of times. Since every golf shot literally has back spin on it already, I didn't mess with trying to change it. I doubt I'd ever use it myself-easier to putt.  :-)

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:33 AM

Thanks for the in put YankeeJim and WGTadmin2, appreciate it, I didn't see the update info that you made until it was pointed out by a sandbagger.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:34 AM

HDBanger:

LOL how was it "unintended"?  There is no rule about taking a divot on the green, no rule about using a wedge on the green, and no rule about not using backspin on the green.  So for all the people who cry "realism", there is a diff between realism and what some of you like to call "respect for the game". If the shot is legal in RL, why is it now "unintended" on WGT, unintentional bugs/shots that have been around for 5 years?  Laughable at best. 

It's a "local rule," which every course is allowed to use, that you can't take a divot on the green. It'You can still use a wedge, and it will still have backspin, as every golf shot always does (even if you apply "topspin.") Using a wedge on the green should be a last resort, not a go-to shot. 

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 9:56 AM

phiber:

Thanks for the in put YankeeJim and WGTadmin2, appreciate it, I didn't see the update info that you made until it was pointed out by a sandbagger.

Why do you say I am a sandbagger?

We can't all have a meteoric rise to Legend status such as yourself,  I see you started in September of last year.

I started in June and have struggled to get the TM status I have now.

IF you bothered to look at my score history you could PLAINLY see that I sir am NO SANDBAGGER.

I try to get the best score in every game I play, and I take personal offense at the suggestion.

I apologize if you could not see that my comment was made in jest and was intended as such. 

Danny

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 10:02 AM

DannyPhan:
    IF you bothered to look at my score history you could PLAINLY see that I sir am NO SANDBAGGER.

LMAO. Most baggers like to lay low and skulk around the dark edges, lurking and salivating. Can't say that about DP. He's always asking and discussing stuff here.  :-)

RSS