Forums

Help › Forums

Scoring average

Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:28 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:52 PM

Mostly just for kicks, I've started entering my ranked round scores into a spreadsheet to keep track of my average.  Part of the reason for this is so that later on, I can see what I need to shoot to bring it down.  Don't ask why I want to do this - I'm a pretty random person.

However, since I started my own tracking, there's now a discrepancy between what WGT shows as my average and what Excel says is my average.  I went back through my scoring history and cannot find a discrepancy in the scores between the history and my spread sheet.  For what it's worth, I've been doubling the score when I play a 9 hole round.

Is there any kind of weighting that I may be missing and, therefore, can't account for in my own records?

Yes, silly thing to do, but I'm a little nerdy like that.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:59 PM

Their average only counts your best rounds.( The amount varies on your level) Also 9 and 18 round games are both counted as one round.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:43 PM

I started tracking as soon as I turned Tour Master and am pretty sure I know (or at least one time knew) the number of rounds used and I'm not nearly there yet :)

If a 9 hole round is counted as one round, that would really skew the numbers - that's why I've been taking the score of a 9 hole round and doubling it (ie, shoot a 33 for 9 = 66 for 18).  That's why I'm wondering if there's a different way that 9 hole rounds are calculated into the average.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:56 PM

@Pug,

it's correct to double the 9 hole scores - 33 => 66.

Average is calculated from the results of the current tier only, you know that?

From your 27 or 28 ranked rounds as a TM (uncertain about the 31 on STA on 05-29-12), I also can't calculate to your current average.

As a NATION member, have you played the weekend tournament, one or two rounds?

These are "secret" and don't show in your stats but in the average.

Add these results - does it help?

Edit2: If you shot a combined 143 your ave. calculation will show the correct 67,23, including the STA result.

Edit: 200 results are in the "score history" on your profile.

• MonumentValley
    58 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 11:07 PM

The problem is the WGT Nation scores are not being entered into our score histories. 

Assuming the 31 you shot on 5/29 put you at TM, then your  score history shows you have 27 scores totaling 1812 strokes (9-hole rounds being doubled) for a 67.11 average.

But, you also have 3 WGT Nation scores as TM not listed. They are 65, 72 and 68. If you add these scores to the 27 you get 30 rounds with 2017 strokes for a 67.23 average, which is what you currently have.

Hope my numbers are right and this helps.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:49 AM

MonumentValley:

The problem is the WGT Nation scores are not being entered into our score histories. 

But, you also have 3 WGT Nation scores as TM not listed. They are 65, 72 and 68. If you add these scores to the 27 you get 30 rounds with 2017 strokes for a 67.23 average, which is what you currently have.

The WGT Nation Scores are what I'm missing - thanks.  Where would I see the WGT Nation scores if not in the score history?  It was the 65 and 72 I was missing - I remembered to jot down the 68.

@alosso - The 31 is what got me to TM, so it's everything since then I've been trying to keep track of.  I've got the bead on the number of rounds to count as well - it's a goofy thing to have to track what I need to shoot to lower my average when I get there.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:10 AM

Those hidden scores are only on the leaderboard of the tourneys AFAIK, and links to them are scarce or only unofficial.

Why goofy? I put the scores in an Excel sheet, calculate the 18 hole scores, sort them and calc. the average.

The easier thing, once you have exceeded the minimum number, is practiced by another user:

ave. x number = strokes taken.

neccessary ave. x number = strokes needed to advance.

The stroke difference tells you how many you still have to shave off.

• MonumentValley
    58 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:58 PM

I don't know how to put in the link for the 1rst Olympic tiered tourney, but, if you go to the General Tournament Discussions forum and then to the WGT Nation tournament thread, piztaker put in the link and you can see your scores.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 4:26 PM

Thanks for that link - Is it boastful to say that I'm a bit proud to be the lowest leveled player within the top 50?  And 69 isn't even the best I've posted on Olympic...

Edit: That, sadly, only shows the current event, but not the previous, unless I'm missing a link on the page.

• PAGES
RSS