Forums

Help › Forums

ADVICE FOR NEW WGT MEMBERS

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 12 2012 8:02 PM (6 replies)
  • marks84
    184 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:05 AM

Hi. If you're reading this post, you're either new to WGT and looking for advice, or you've been here a while and just want to see what I said. If you're new, feel free to use or ignore what I am going say, I hope it helps you out. If you're reading this to see what I said, feel free to reply and/or add your 2 cents worth.  Ready?  Here we go.

1. Run away while you still can.... LOL

2. Practice, practice, practice... go beat your head against the wall, then come back and practice some more.

3. DO NOT get frustrated by your seeming lack of success, the good scores will come.

4. Buy some decent balls. There are some good balls available to you right from the start that are not very expensive and will allow you to see improvement in your game which the free balls will not. Don't rush out and buy expensive balls, the WGT B-XD or Tour-S ones will be fine.

5. With the possible exception of a putter, do not be in a hurry to buy new clubs. I would suggest you wait until around level 30, at which point clubs that will be suitable until at least Master Tier become available.

6. Good wedges are a MUST HAVE. As you advance in tiers, the courses become harder to play, and being able to control your ball on and around the green is VERY important.

7. Do not Tier up too fast. The reason for this is because although the playing differences between Hack and Tour Pro are not that pronounced, once you get to Master level, you will find that you cannot compete without good clubs, since the lower level clubs may not even allow you to reach the fairway on your drive, or the green with any chance to make at least par.

8. Check out joining a Country Club. You can get A LOT of excellent advice from fellow CC members. Another option is to spend the 50 cents and create your own club, which has 2 advantages: ) You can decide who gets to join, and, 2) You can create CC Tournaments which will allow you to practice on all of the course under any conditions you choose.

9. Read the FAQs section and the Forums. You can get great advice from them.

10. Practice, practice, practice,practice (are you detecting a trend here?)

Again, welcome to WGT, hope this helps.

Marks84

• soquerojogar
    34 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:13 AM

SITE DE MERDA. PARECE MANIPULAR TUDO. TODOS OS RESULTADOS. JOGO AQUI PORQUE GOSTO DE GOLFE E NÃO ENCONTREI OUTRO, AINDA. A WGT QUE PEGUE TODOS OS CLUBS, TACOS EN ENFIEM NO CÚ, NÃO SATISFEITOS, SENTEM NUM CARALHO, QUE É ISSO QUE MERECEM. WIN??? ONLY DETERMINADO. ESTE SITE ADORA UMA PUTARIA. JOGO EM FAMÍLIA NÃO. PUTARIA É PARA OUTROS SITES. GOLFE AQUI?????? DESFIO ESSES LEGENDAS QUE GANHAM OS TORNAMENTS A JOGAR MULTIPLAYER E QUERO VER SE FAZEM A MESMA COISA. NEVER. NUNCA. COISA DESSA BOSTA AQUI. DESSES PAU NO CÚ AQUI.

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:44 AM

Good opportunity for a relative beginner (although I registered in Dec 2011, I've only been playing since April 2012) to share some thoughts. 

1. Yes, the game can be addicting!

2. I HATE practice rounds. I only use them for trying out new equipment. To me it is just a bore to hit iron shots back and forth on the fairway to get familar with their distance or putter around on the greens. If I'm doing poorly in a ranked round I'll just end the game (playing solo, so I'm not quitting on anyone) and chalk it up to "practice", it doesn't count towards my average. At least there is some adrenaline factor in a ranked round, whereas in a practice round, I just can't get motivated.

3. Yes, patience is good

4. I sort of dread when the time will come that buying $4/sleeve balls becomes necessary . I'm happy with the $1.80/sleeve srixons.

5. I rushed out and bought new equipment as soon as possible, buying a level or two and also using exp point boosts. Maybe I could have saved a few bucks, but no real regrets.

6. Ditto on wedges! Notice how so many players sacrifice a hybrid in order to have three wedges in their bag, and thats the route I have gone as well.  But not everyone; at some point you may get a feel on your own particular style, and may go a different route. It's YOUR game.

7. I don't think tiering up quickly (except to legend) is a problem as long as you have the exp points to get a good driver.

8. If you're unsocial as I am (except I do like message boards)  you can still have tons of fun. When I started out I avoided tournaments because for some reason I thought I would have to play in groups. You don't. All the tournaments (AFAIK) are played solo.

9. On the message boards you will find all sorts of players who will give advice and encouragement. A great resource!

10, Did I mention I hate practice rounds? Play ranked rounds, if you are doing horribly, start over (unless you are playing in a group, you don't want to get labeled a quitter). You will have more motivation to do well in a ranked round than a practice round. 

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:31 AM

10, Did I mention I hate practice rounds? Play ranked rounds, if you are doing horribly, start over (unless you are playing in a group, you don't want to get labeled a quitter). You will have more motivation to do well in a ranked round than a practice round. 

Tocat488 wrote:

It's possible to make Legend in 213 ranked rounds... Using ranked rounds as practice.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 9:10 AM

My 0.02 €:

2 + 10: CTTHs and Blitz are fast & funny. Don't forget to play stroke play to learn every aspect of the game. Practice there in ranked rounds regardless of the result. Bad scores eventually disappear from the ave. calculation, good scores last.

Multiplayer games allow insights to other methods of playing - very illuminating.

3. Scores will come and the ding (*) will come by patience and practice.

(*) the sound when you hit the line ev1 calls "ding" - then "excellent" appears

4. Buy balls when you think you need them. Late Pro / Tour Pro tiers might be early enough. Mind you that they wear and get lost (none has ever been found by a player), thus it's a steady flow of dough to support the game (I love the WGT-SDs @65 crs/sleeve).

5.+6. I agree to wait to buy clubs as long as you can stand it. Levels come fast:
    lvl 30 is 10,000 XPs, lvl 40 is 30,000 XPs. Use the continuous days played bonus (up to 880 XPs (**)) when you're in a hurry.

(**) only one hole from Community / Golf Courses or three holes in stroke play practice mode.

No need to replace the Starter putter too early - it's not the worst Starter club (***). Some Legends still play it as I'm told. Wedges (one or two for a start) and a driver (or a 3WD as a replacement) are more important.
    (***) This would be the 3WD IMHO.

First shopping recommendation: Pro Driver from Pro tier on.

7. I agree to Marks, not too fast! This booster food available may harm more than it does good. Patience is one of golfers' virtues, on PGA Tour and on WG Tour.

8. Ev1 to his liking...

• Khugar
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:40 AM

As a new member I agree 100% with the 1. post.

I was at the Pro Tier in "no time", with midlevel 30 the results stucks in the low 80s and I think about an upgrade.

So I rent the R11 Irons but they were no real difference to the starters - my problem were and are still the putts. I stick with the starters also due to the reason that I have to pay real money.

I though I could stay on this course til 59 but now with 45 the aproach shots are getting more and more worsed, with 48 I'll buy the rapture irons plus wedges and maybe some balls.

Thanks to WGT / Trugolf for a nice game, it reminds me at the old computer game Links for PC.

• Nicholas1475348
    11 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 8:02 PM

Hello, here is a tutorial of the clubs that is advice to know when to use a certain club at times (And My Advice):

1. At L1, the avatar has starter clubs and ready to play the Most Realistic Golf Game. (L1's, you can keep your starter club till about L35, and then get the R11) Having a 225 driver is good, (but i know i havent told the advice yet) The driver is fine. Everything fine.

2. The Driver: The most important club, don't just take a shot and except it to land on the fairway, becasue you might click early, you might click late, and into the rough or in the bunker it goes. Moving the arrow around is good, cause then you get a good spot on the fairway.

3. The 3W and 3H (5W), is a smaller-headed driver that can be hit of the fairway. The 3W is a club that can be used out of 20-25% rough at punch/ full backspin when over the range of hybrid punch distance. The 3W is the highest club you can hit off the fairway that is useful with far away from the pin. The 3H, such know as the 5W, is mostly hit out of 20-25% rough with full, with 100% backspin or punch 100% backspin. (Did you know that if you hit the ball out of rough with full, full backspin, it goes the distance of the punch or rolls over). The 3H, (5W) is useful for long fairway shots, and useful for 30-40% rough.

4. Irons 3-5 are irons that go lower than higher numbered irons. They also go lower and are harder to stop sometimes. The 4I is a less-pitched club that is useful in 30-40% rough when around 155yrds with starter clubs and 187yrds with R11 (L90+) Irons. The 4I is useful in 40-50%, 50-60%, 60-70%. Not useful for 80-90%.

5. Irons 6-9 are more pitched irons that fly higher and stop quicker. The 6I is the middle club, and flies higher than Irons 3-5. But goes lower than Irons 7-9. The 6I is useful for fairway shots. The 7I, more-pitched, goes less in distance and is useful for short Par 3's or chipping, or a long pitch. The 8I, a scoring iron, flies very high and stops with a 3yrds. (Could go off a hill, and start bouncing like crazy) The 9I, the most pitched iron, goes the least in distance in irons, and stops the quickest. If you are in Med Brush, use 9I or a PW. The 9I is a good club to use when are 115yrds-140yrds.

6. Wedges: The PW is mostly used for chipping or pitching, and is like a 10I or 11I to me. The PW will be used out of a bunker when over 45yrds. A PW stopps even faster, and with a Callaway S or Z or Nike will sometimes give you a back-up. Is goes in reverse for a yard or 2. The SW, usually is used for pitching or chipping, stops fast and can give you a back-up to with a upgraded ball. A SW is used when 44yrds- in a bunker. The SW is even more pitched, and goes even higher than a PW or Irons. The LW, the most pitched club in golf, goes the least amount of distance. The LW is good to pull out around 52-75yrds from the pin.

7. The putter, obviously, goes on green and is ment to hit the ball flat and into the hole.

8. Have Fun exploring the clubs and here's my advice: I watched a legend play the WGT golf game with his upgraded clubs, and he moved the maker around when need to. So my advice is to move the aiming marker to oppisite direction the wind is going, and you'll find success. That's my success. Hit you hit the right club with the right power with my advice, you might make a approach shot or instantly a hole-in-one on Par 3.

9. Have Fun! For the 2nd Time.

RSS