Help › Forums

Servers...

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:07 PM (4 replies)
  • Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2012 1:11 PM

Hi all,

I thought I'd ask the community this given there will be very knowledgeable and deft IT people among us.  And this question is chiefly directed at those people.

There was a game where the meter was particularly nasty and one of the players wrote that he/she would change the server for all players, now whether he/she was pulling our legs is anybody's guess, however the gameplay (meter) seemed to improve immensely for all of us.

Is this possible to do, and how does one go by doing so?

This is what I'd like help understanding, and in doing so help all those like me lacking the know-how improve the gameplay experience:

1 - So, WGT has " troublesome" servers, which ones are these and  how to avoid them?

2 - How can one go about "choosing" a better server - ie: How do one finds out the available alternative servers (and this one is not an IT engineer) and switch to one.

Thank you all fro any help you can offer.

Sanco

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:13 PM

Anyone? Surely there must be someone out there that could at least say whether it is or isn't possible...

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2012 11:33 PM

Do we really have to explain why your 500+ ms lag from

Kazahk to the US is slow?  At least you have 210ms to

Tokyo now as of April.  Improvement.

bblackh1

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:39 AM

Sanco:

Anyone? Surely there must be someone out there that could at least say whether it is or isn't possible...

OK here we go, 

Quick answer is NO you can't,

WHY? Because the IP address for MEDIA5.WGT.COM (the game server) is really the address to what is known as a "LOAD BALANCER" whose sole purpose in life is to "Balance the load between all the back-end servers" In other words it takes your incoming request and directs it the the server that currently has the least load.

It is possible, for example if you work for WGT and have knowlegde of the internal servers, that you MAY be able to direct a connection to a single server.

but for a "normal" user see answer 1.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:07 PM

bblackh1:

Do we really have to explain why your 500+ ms lag from

Kazahk to the US is slow?  bblackh1

Lol. No, you don't have to explain that to me bblackh1.

Assumption, as I have learnt in my life, is the mother of all mistakes my friend as I may have a kazakh flag beside me, but think ... is there was broadband in kazakhstan would it be fast enough to play this game??

To be honest I am one of the blessed ones in this game as I have very little interference from the meter, but others are not so lucky. So I thought I'd ask to see if others could take advantage of the knowledge - after all most of us would want to compete on a plain field and win out of better skills than better meter.

Regards

Borat

RSS