Help › Forums

Ready Go wind

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 25 2012 4:17 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 2:52 AM

I have just started dabbling with playing Ready Go's.

Played the back 9 Famous holes today.

4 of the holes I played I had to hit into 28+ mile an hour winds. So I was wondering...

Are the wind conditions exactly the same for each of the entrants of a Ready Go?

If I am hitting into a 31 mile an hour par 4, 520 yard hole, is everyone else doing the same? Or does the next chap perhaps have the 31 mile an hour wind on his back? 

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:23 AM

It varies for each player - which IMO sucks.  I hate getting the bad run of headwinds in the high wind RGs as it can make a HUGE difference in scoring.  While I like the idea of winds being variable so that each time you play the hole you get a different wind, I think that in RGs each player should play the same winds on each hole.

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:50 PM

Mmhmm...Kinda feels unfair.

Cest la vie.

But I have only played a handful of Ready Go's so I guess the carousel will turn in my favour sometime.

Not quite good enough just yet.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 1:58 PM

Hi

Unfortunately, this is the fairest way. Having a friend play in 1 before and knowing winds ahead would be much more unfair than now.

-wgticon

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:15 PM

Next time, check The Weather Channel before you hit the links ;-)

It does stink going out and facing headwinds galore during a RG, but...in defense of how they're set up, wind conditions can easily change for real golfers based on tee-times, so in a sense, it makes sense that the wind directions and speeds would be different for players in any tournament (not the set "heavy/moderate/low" setting).

But - on the other hand, I would like to see winds that coincide with the direction of the hole.  If you have a hole going North-South with a huge headwind and the next hole goes South-North parallel to the previous hole, there is virtually no way there should be a headwind again.

An example of what I mean would be 6 and 7 or 8 and 9 at Oakmont.  In each case, the second hole back-tracks from the previous, so if 6 has a headwind, 7 should be a tail wind.  I think THIS would add a bit more to the realism of the game, rather than wonder if you're going to face headwinds for 7 of 9 holes on a course.

Of course, this means that you're going to see a LOT of the same wind directions on a course like St. Andrews...but it is the reality of the course!

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 12:52 AM

WGTicon:

Hi

Unfortunately, this is the fairest way. Having a friend play in 1 before and knowing winds ahead would be much more unfair than now.

-wgticon

Psshhh I don't want my friend to win! I won't tell him jack! lol

But yeah, I get what you're saying...You don't have a spare rabbits foot or shamrock handy for the next time I play though?

• zzturk
    150 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 1:50 AM

One thing that is totally unfair about wind (or WGT's application of it) is that ... in real golf, if you are playing St. Andrews 17 with a thirty mile downwind, then so will 18 play the same way. But given the same exact circumstance on WGT's version at 17 and then you move to 18 and the wind turns around 180 degrees (but the hole is in the exact same direction), you get stiffed out of using the knowledge gained from playing the previous hole!

...happened to me several times. I'm still searching for a forum help for head and tail wind rules, in general.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 6:46 PM

To my knowledge, the only "rule" is the general speed of the wind (low, moderate, heavy).  I've heard and voiced the same thought in a number of other places that  it would be more realistic if the wind directions were relative to the layout of the course.

The more I read/hear, the more it confirms that WGT does not have this built in, so wind direction could be different from one hole to the next regardless of what direction the hole plays.

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:38 PM

The primary reason this annoys me is because of the scores that must be posted in Ready Go tourney's to be competitive.  Case in point - yesterday playing the Best of Strokeplay front 9 RG with high winds and tournament greens I shot a 28 missing the birdie on the RSG hole #4 where I found myself hitting into a direct 30mph headwind.  I hit a dinged R11S and a dinged R11 3-wood (with full topspin to try to make it up the sloped green) and the shot came up short and rolled back down the slope to the fairway.  Still nearly holed the pitch for birdie but had to settle for a par.  ANY other wind and this hole is reachable and gives me the opportunity to make the birdie and win instead of tying for 2nd.

Icon - it wouldn't matter if everyone knew the winds - they still would have to play the same shots and execute them properly.  If I told everyone that on the RSG #4 hole you are hitting into a 30mph headwind would it help them to reach the unreachable green?

This is the most frustrating when playing St Andrews, RSG, or the Best of courses that include holes from both courses.  The difference in a 30mph tail wind and a 30mph head wind can mean an Eagle opportunity or a difficult par (St Andrews #14 as an example).

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:30 PM

Hmm. As far as wind aiding making a green on a par 4 in one or a par 5 in two, yeah. that makes a difference. Mainly, though, working the wind is just a skill and doesn't really matter from where it comes. 

What I'd like to see is uniformity. Bugs me that the wind behaves differently at RSG. 

Oh well.

• PAGES
RSS