Forums

Help › Forums

wind allowance

Fri, Jun 15 2012 3:46 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jiggsie
    478 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 6:26 AM

Being a non-golfer, I'm trying awful hard to learn this wonderful, contagious WGT game.

My question is this: Is there a formula or rule of thumb for wind allowance, ie: If the wind is 19 mph into my face, how many yards do I add to compensate. If the wind is 19 mph in my back, how many yards to I subtract to compensate.

I've written several questions on this forum, and I really appreciate the fact someone always responds - the help is just great - makes all the hours and $$$ spent worth it.

Thank you

jiggsie

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 12:58 PM

hi:)

I am also not a golfer in real life but general rule for me is 1 mph =1 yard. But, that's generic since it really matters on the spin, club, balls, elevation.

Best I can tell you is to practice, hit shots, and keep notes on the outcome, so next time you can make adjustments :)

-wgticon

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 2:41 PM

Hey J

also check out:

"med. traj. clubs vs. med./high traj. vs. high traj. differences" thread under "Game Tips" ..

u might find some usefull info there concerning wind & backspin

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 2:52 PM

jiggsie:

My question is this: Is there a formula or rule of thumb for wind allowance

$2 for taking out the trash
    $2 for doing the dishes
    $5 for shoveling the walk and driveway in the winter
    $5 for mowing the lawn

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

While there are formulas that refer to compensating for the wind, the difference in height to the green plays a significant role as well.  I've never used a formula myself, but rather use experience and some notes from time to time as to how the wind affects different shots at different distances on different holes.

Getting a formula helps, but practice helps even more.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 3:22 PM

WGTicon:
    I am also not a golfer in real life but general rule for me is 1 mph =1 yard. But, that's generic since it really matters on the spin, club, balls, elevation.

Here's a tip: If you are 30 yards from the hole in a 30 mph side wind, do not aim 30 yards away. If you are 225 yards away, however, that might work... by far the most important consideration is the distance you are hitting the ball. The farther the shot, the greater the effect; while a certain wind may move an 85 yard shot 6 yards, the same wind will move a 150 yard shot around 12 yards.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 8:50 PM

GRIP IT N RIP IT !!!

• Peajo
    16 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:10 PM

Try dividing it in half and then either add if its in your face and sub. if its behind you. this is something i remember from the forum sometime back.. may or maynot work

• JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:16 PM

HI

Add or subtract 1/2 yds of speed of wind if directly into your face or directly behind you.So if wind is 20 mph into your face add 10 yds to length

james

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Jun 15 2012 10:44 AM

JAMESBALDINI:

HI

Add or subtract 1/2 yds of speed of wind if directly into your face or directly behind you.So if wind is 20 mph into your face add 10 yds to length

james

Again, just like side wind it depends on how far the shot is. A 20 mph wind against will affect a 200 yard shot much, much more than a 50 yard shot..... so in this example (adding 10 yards), the long shot will come up short and the 50 yard shot will be way too long.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Fri, Jun 15 2012 3:01 PM

LeonDelBosque:

Again, just like side wind it depends on how far the shot is. A 20 mph wind against will affect a 200 yard shot much, much more than a 50 yard shot..... so in this example (adding 10 yards), the long shot will come up short and the 50 yard shot will be way too long.

yep, the man is right .. 20mph headwind @ 200 yd, i would add 14 yds .. if it's a tail, i'd subtract 15/16 yds .. but that's for 200 yds

• PAGES
RSS