Forums

Help › Forums

Do courses become harder as you advance?

Sun, Jun 24 2012 10:10 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:18 AM

I have recently advanced to 'Tour Pro' and noticed that my scores on a particular course are higher than I normally average since I leveled.  I have noticed that the greens are faster and they seem to have more break to them.  So, I'm wondering if there are other subtle changes to each course that, once you level, make them harder or are my higher scores just a coincidence and I'm in some sort of slump?  Thanks

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:29 AM

You kinda answered your own question... as you move through the tiers the greens get faster, as the greens get faster the breaks become more exaggerated. You also will be teeing off from different (longer) tees as you move up. Keep practicing, you'll get used to the faster greens and longer approaches. The course itself doesn't change, you're just playing with tougher conditions. Good luck.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:37 AM

Contributing to what Glass said above could be a mild letdown in concentration due to the advancement to Tour Pro. Whatever the reason. congratulations and hit 'em well!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:20 AM

Yes.... The better you get, as in moving through the Tiers, the game gets harder to play too. Don't get discouraged though, the game does get easier, I'm still waiting for it to get easy, but that what gets me back too....lol

Start playing games with higher Tier people and start getting use to thier conditions, so when you get promoted it won't be a shock to the system.

Good Luck and remember to have fun

Roger

• TarheelsRule
    5,552 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:41 AM

Tees are placed to make hole play longer and green speed can increase as you progress through the tiers

It is also important to realize that your average will get reset when you change tiers so your scores will change your average only at your new level.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:28 AM

I do believe that the "Harder" factor is also incrementually increasd long with the "VEM" factor. If not, my apologies to WGT. If so, tough it out, you'll be a better player for it.  my nickle. 

TarheelsRule:

Tees are placed to make hole play longer and green speed can increase as you progress through the tiers

It is also important to realize that your average will get reset when you change tiers so your scores will change your average only at your new level.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 11:18 AM

Kiawah certainly gets harder.

• pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:32 PM

piztaker:

That's the one I play on the most.  I went from averaging 4-5 under when playing 18 to +2 - +3 since I leveled to tour pro.  That's a pretty big scoring swing.  Reading the greens used to be one of my strengths on this course, but it seems like they've changed the way they break now.  When I stop my swing, putts that used to fall are now curving right around the hole.  It's got me both confounded and frustrated because I had the spot down pat and now it's changed.  I guess I have to search for the new sweet spot.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jun 24 2012 1:26 AM

If you think about it logically. The faster the green speed, the slower the speed of the ball, so it deviates more. The reverse is true for Bethpage, where as you tier up, you buy higher lofted clubs which makes the course much easier. Bethpage has the truest greens so the ball speed has little effect.

• washndry1
    121 Posts
    Sun, Jun 24 2012 3:11 AM

piztaker:

wow thought it was just me i was wondering why i was haven such hard time on course i thought was easy lol feel better now thanks yall cant beleave nobody else told me this info thought i was just taking for granted with promo ;] 

• PAGES
RSS