Help › Forums

Anyone watching Wimbledon?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 27 2012 11:44 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:21 AM

During the worst Summer in living memory, the tennis starts and it's a glorious day. Come on Murray!!!

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Mon, Jun 25 2012 3:20 PM

heres hoping, hes not been in best of form but hey fingers crossed for the lad.

• Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Mon, Jun 25 2012 4:21 PM

I'm of Scottish descent, but my heart's with Roger, despite his being dismissed from the conversation lately. Go Fed.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Mon, Jun 25 2012 7:39 PM

We need another "Mcenroe " on the tour to liven things up :)

Personalities in Tennis is what made it so great in the late 70' 80' and 90's. Boring Professionals . :)

• Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:52 AM

Yes, McEnroe was fascinating....boorish & brilliant. You just never knew when the bomb was going to go off.  But there is something to be said for civilized behavior.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 7:53 AM

im from the Mac, Conners, Lendyl, Vilas generation

so the grunting doesnt do much for me

but the YOU CANT BE SERIOUS era

that was awesome

• Phaxda
    145 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 9:03 AM

Men's tennis is like WGT--there's a few guys at the top who pretty much win everything and then... everyone else.

Hopefully some youth coming along to shake it up, kind of what has happened in pro golf these days with Fowler, Bubba, Rory McIlory, kooky music videos, etc.

I love watching Wimbledom, though. Favorite tournament, the tour of the the grounds was probably the highlight of a London trip a couple years ago. Wow, I am getting old. But I still have the socks I bought. 

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 11:06 AM

lol Don't think there will be some nobody winning this time round, not with the likes of Roger, Rafa and Novak around.

Ok, I'm going to slightly hijack this post and ask a question which is alays a raving debate around my little pub at home.

Who is the best player of all time?

Federer

Sampras

Borg

Lendl

Those are the names that seem to always come up in our little chats. (Nadal has a few more wins to go to be in this company)

For me it's Federer, the most beautiful exponent of how to play tennis I have ever seen.

Whatcha think?

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 11:28 AM

pjctas0822:

We need another "Mcenroe " on the tour to liven things up :)

Personalities in Tennis is what made it so great in the late 70' 80' and 90's. Boring Professionals . :)

Agreed - it's not the same anymore.

Loved McEnroe, Connors et al, but my all time favourite has to be Nastase. Superb player with every shot in the book, and total disrespect for the establishment. 

Whattaguy!

Sean

• PAGES
RSS