Forums

Help › Forums

Legends greens..

Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:12 PM (47 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:27 AM

When you play Alt with Legs are the greens in fact faster than tourney ?  & if so why not have a separate designation for them ? ie: fast,tourney & maybe Glass !!   Ty...Andy..

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:07 AM

There are tour master tournament greens and legend tournament greens. They are both called "tournament" and they are two different speeds.

If a legend is playing in the match, the greens will be the faster tournament greens.

MisterWGT responded to this question in the recent chat (and frankly, did a deplorable job of justifying why they have the same name), but there's your answer.

Two speeds, one name.

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:23 AM

godelescher:

There are tour master tournament greens and legend tournament greens. They are both called "tournament" and they are two different speeds.

If a legend is playing in the match, the greens will be the faster tournament greens.

MisterWGT responded to this question in the recent chat (and frankly, did a deplorable job of justifying why they have the same name), but there's your answer.

Two speeds, one name.

I don't understand why each tier has to have its own green speed.  

I think the course should have its own green speed.  

This course green speed could be changed once a day, or weekly.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:27 AM

This was asked by one of the best players of this game some time ago, jakestanfil.

I would love to see WGT implement a system where green speeds are named by Stimp meter rating instead of current system. Can't understand how we can have two entirely different green speeds named the same thing (Tournament). One speed is about 3 feet slower than the other on 15 footers yet they are named the same thing. At the very least come up with different names, instead of both named "Tournament". Could even go with Extremely Fast and Tournament, but for please differentiate between the two.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:32 AM

mnshiner:
    One speed is about 3 feet slower than the other on 15 footers yet they are named the same thing.
    Thanks all,anyone have fuller equation  ? ie: ? under 10ft..etc..or even the diff in percentage terms I use 1.3 for tourny greens & 1.35 downhill ...????  Andy..

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:54 PM

alcaucin:

mnshiner:
    One speed is about 3 feet slower than the other on 15 footers yet they are named the same thing.
    Thanks all,anyone have fuller equation  ? ie: ? under 10ft..etc..or even the diff in percentage terms I use 1.3 for tourny greens & 1.35 downhill ...????  Andy..

I also use your specs and also use 1.4 & 1.45 downhill when I play with a Legend.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:19 PM

alcaucin:
    When you play Alt with Legs are the greens in fact faster than tourney ?

Yes, sort of. I asked this very question in the chat with MisterWGT (why there were 2 different speeds called the same thing) and the way I understood his answer was this. In tournament play WGT uses whole numbers for the green speed. This is where TMs would be putting on 11.0 and Legends would be putting on 12.0. In mixed play this whole number becomes a variable between those 2 numbers. Legends would be putting on something less than that whole number and TMs would be putting on something greater than that number, like 11.X. 

If you're a TM in an all TM tournament you will see what we call the TM speed. As a Legend in an all Legend tournament you would see that Legend speed. Mix the 2 tiers together and you get something in between that changes based on whatever variable number the game is setting for those speeds.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:38 PM

YankeeJim:
    In mixed play this whole number becomes a variable between those 2 numbers. Legends would be putting on something less than that whole number and TMs would be putting on something greater than that number, like 11.X................ Mix the 2 tiers together and you get something in between that changes based on whatever variable number the game is setting for those speeds.

I don't buy it Jim.  I don't adjust my putting in AS.  Mr WGT danced around a direct answer IMO.

godelescher:

Two speeds, one name.

I buy the above from godelesher.  Still nothing from WGT clearly stating why there are two speeds with the same name.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:41 PM

YankeeJim:
    This is where TMs would be putting on 11.0 and Legends would be putting on 12.0. In mixed play this whole number becomes a variable between those 2 numbers. Legends would be putting on something less than that whole number and TMs would be putting on something greater than that number, like 11.X. 
    Sort of makes sense I suppose tx YJ & Ace, will try the 1.4 etc...Andy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:32 PM

andyson:
    I don't buy it Jim.  I don't adjust my putting in AS.  Mr WGT danced around a direct answer IMO.

Not asking you to buy it, that's what he said. And I notice a distinct difference in AS matches where tiers are mixed. Legend speeds slow down. I'm sorry you and G didn't like the way he answered it. Call it another one of your hoops. The only time there's ever a question is when the tiers are mixed.

Suppose they do call TM speeds one thing and Legend speeds another. What do you call in between, when a variable stimp is used, like he indicated it is when tiers are mixed?

RSS