Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Game Changes

Thu, Oct 17 2013 12:37 AM (408 replies)
  • okiegolfer2
    350 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:24 PM

WGTwildcat:

Based on recent player feedback in the Forums, WGT is making a few changes to help improve the realism and fairness of the game. We wanted to share these changes as soon as possible for your feedback...

• Chipping on Greens - Players are able to take unfair advantage of chipping on greens to make an unrealistic amount of putts. On 5/30/12 we removed the option of controlling ball spin when chipping on greens, and on 6/28/12 we increased the variability of chipping on greens. This better matches how chipping on greens works in the real world, so players can still chip on greens but are unlikely to sink a lot of those chips.
    • R11S Driver - Apparently this club was just a little too good...as it's slightly longer, more precise and more forgiving than any other driver. So since WGT doesn’t change the specifications of released equipment, to make the game a little more balanced, on 8/1/12 we're planning to move the R11S Driver unlock from Level 90 to Level 94. This will give any players in the high Level 80s a full month to level-up to unlock and purchase the club, then it will move permanently to Level 94. Note that players who have already purchased the club will be unaffected.
    • Level 70+ Equipment - A small number of players at lower tiers (Hack/Amateur) have leveled up very quickly and are purchasing top equipment, but are still playing from the shorter Hack/Amateur tee boxes, making those games and tournaments a little unfair. To avoid this from happening in the future, all equipment Level 70 or higher will require a Pro or higher tier to unlock. Existing equipment and players will not be affected.

As a mid-level 89 I'll miss my long-awaited purcase of the R11s driver.  I'll probably not be able to get it now until 2014.  This is VERY DISAPPOINTING NEWS.  It's certainly not fair to me or those who have patiently played the game with hopes of enjoying advertised new equipment.  I know WGT is in business to make a virtual golf game as realistic and enjoyable as possible.  And overall you do that very well.  But here you've missed the boat and hurt committed players like me with your executive decision.  I know it doesn't matter to the higher powers at WGT, but I just have to say that right now WGT SUCKS!!

okiegolfer

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:08 PM

okiegolfer2:

As a mid-level 89 I'll miss my long-awaited purcase of the R11s driver.  I'll probably not be able to get it now until 2014.  This is VERY DISAPPOINTING NEWS.  It's certainly not fair to me or those who have patiently played the game with hopes of enjoying advertised new equipment.  I know WGT is in business to make a virtual golf game as realistic and enjoyable as possible.  And overall you do that very well.  But here you've missed the boat and hurt committed players like me with your executive decision.  I know it doesn't matter to the higher powers at WGT, but I just have to say that right now WGT SUCKS!!

okiegolfer

Unfortunately WGT - this is a man with a legitimate complaint.  He has reached the Legend tier and should have access to whatever equipment he wishes to purchase/use as a "perk" for earning that status.  I am all for moving back the driver for all other tiers - but legends should unlock all equipment upon obtaining that status. There is really no legitimate argument that can be made to refute this.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:03 PM

Just to expand on the excellent point made above by Spammage, allowing Legends access to all gear makes good business sense. 

First, it's a strong incentive for players to try to lower their averages so as to tier up...and that means playing more rounds, both ranked and practice, and that means (in most cases) using more balls, usually of better quality.

Second, sandbagging gets kneecapped because the lower tiers, where baggers prosper from the shorter tees, won't have access to the best equipment.  As has been stated time and again, there's no sandbagging at the Legend tier pretty much by definition.

Third, just judging by most of the opinions expressed in this thread (and many other threads) it'd be a positive PR move and would serve to undermine the notion that WGT cares only about making money.  Some business decisions show a profit in the short term but end up losing in the long term due to customer dissatisfaction.  Moving the new driver up to level 94 is one of those shortsighted decisions.

None of us is so naive as to think that WGT isn't in the business of making money, but I maintain that you'll actually make more if you reconsider and rescind this latest move.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:47 AM

mkg335:
    None of us is so naive as to think that WGT isn't in the business of making money, but I maintain that you'll actually make more if you reconsider and rescind this latest move.

Naw....if you were/are  at level 87...would ya buy the l88 R11 then at L 90 buy the R11s?

No...you would play thru to the R11s

Now at 89 level...in a bit the R11 is there,,,,,,,,how long to get the R11s?....ahhh...ya...long time...so now ya buy it...then buy again in a few months ya have access to the R11s :)

• hobbe95
    812 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 3:37 AM

i just reachd level 89  and with 50000+ points to go for 90  i know i wont rech it befor august 1st   had my eye on the r11s driver  but i wont get the old r11 ill stick with my

g20  still drives 300+ most days and land on fw

cheers micke

• SSills
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:29 AM

Wow hobbes, 50000 is a ways to go. hang in there hopefully they'll fix it for ya.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:45 AM

MBaggese:

Naw....if you were/are  at level 87...would ya buy the l88 R11 then at L 90 buy the R11s?

No...you would play thru to the R11s

Now at 89 level...in a bit the R11 is there,,,,,,,,how long to get the R11s?....ahhh...ya...long time...so now ya buy it...then buy again in a few months ya have access to the R11s :)

MB, I'm sure you're right, but that's exactly what I meant about the short-term vs. long-term ramifications of this move by WGT.  They'll profit, but at what cost?  It seems to me they've cut off their nose to spite their face, so to speak.

• MBidney
    145 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:00 AM

So I guess there will be no response by WGT on these concerns?

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:08 AM

MBidney:

So I guess there will be no response by WGT on these concerns?

Guess not. They prefer to get involved in questions that does not matter so much. So much for the new community aware approach they announced some weeks ago. Oh well, it is just a game and I will revert to play a game or two every week, until I find something else. 

This is the best golf game, but it's not really good. It is disappointing, there is so many relatively small fixes they could do to make this game a lot better. They don't seem interested. I have the feeling they are developing something else, a non flash version, but they don't want us to know. Development resources must go somewhere and Flash is dead.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:16 AM

With okie being a Legend, I think he has earned the right to get the R11s. The level is totally irrelevant at this point. He has pounded it out to reach the tips, let him buy the club now. One word says it all LEGEND.

RSS