Forums

Help › Forums

I cannot believe...............

Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:40 AM (42 replies)
  • kwhenry58
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:59 AM

I am a very average Tour Master player and just finished the WGT Nation CTTH putting comp with 50 feet and at time of writing I am in the 500s on the leaderboard. Fair enough, you might say. But at the top of the board there is an 8 feet total. One of those putts is well over 100 feet just off the fairway on the 17th at St Andrews with slopes and borrows around the infamous pot bunker. Man, how is a sub 12 inch hole average for 9 holes be possible, when most would struggle to get within 5 feet on that one hole alone? When you see that, and mid 50s at Olympic, you better believe I won't be playing any RG tournaments. Maybe I just need more practice guys.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 10:59 AM

Mostly it's the difference between those who view and play this as a computer game and those who play this as a golf game. Golfers finish rounds. Computer game people start the game and quit over and over until they finally string together 9 consecutive shots they like.

It is also very much like some golf is in real life. The top PGA players know exactly what it takes to hit a shot 137, 138, or 139 yards with the same club. A very good player here can hit the ball as close as he/she does as a result of thousands of rounds, knowing every hill and break, knowing their equipment.

Yes, these guys are good.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 11:32 AM

The guy who shot the 8.11 is in the same country club as me and he posted the card in our forum to show us. He holed the putts on the 1st, 3rd, 4th & 6th and was 3.03ft away on the 7th. That was his worst distance of all the 9 putts. At the end of the day he's a great putter and he has played it a lot of times. Yeah for sure he probably restarted a lot of times but that's what everyone does in the ctth games. It's the exact same 9 putts everytime so it's not hard to take a few notes. He said he's actually holed every putt on different rounds except the 7th so expect that score to go a little lower.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 11:50 AM

I sympathize :) . I am not a bad putter. I have 68+% of first putt (which as to be correlated with a 10ft average distance to pin on approach shot, it's much easier to sink a 10 ft putt than a 20-30 ft putt or longer). But I am nowhere near the top in the leaderboard :) .

That CTTH is really a nice idea, it changes from usual CTTH. However, wind doesn't affect much the trajectory and putter have a great precision. This means that from one round to another, you have almost everything identical.

If you are patient, you can play it again and again and put marks on your screen where you move the aim and how much power you use for each hole (you can use a non permanent marker pen). Then you correct your marks from one round to another. This way you can get very close to the pin each time and sunk several of them. That's not what I am doing because I do not have a patience to play this CTTH again and again :) . But those who want to post a very low score, that's a possible method.

Still 8.11ft is a great score whatever the method used. I am most of the time behind the leader after my first putt :) .

Regards

• bawbag1874
    184 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 5:52 PM

well to defend myself here i feel i must say something .....so i will.... as u can see i am in the lead with 7.something this is due to knowing every putt except the 7th still havent holed this one and yes this is down to playin the ctth alot of times but thats what unlimited means.....as Dazza said i have holed every putt except the 7th now i have took notes off what i need to do on every hole. If that makes me sad then so be it.  If this was a single play rd i would be no where near the top of the leaderboard but through practising every hole i now know where to hit the ball (and yes the wind does affect the putts). I am a kind of player who will help anyone, so if anyone is struggling with any hole pm me and i will share what i hit. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 6:25 PM

bawbag1874:
    well to defend myself here i feel i must say something

bawbag1874:
    If that makes me sad then so be it.

No way, bawbag, you are the man on this one. There's no way you need to be defending anything here and I hope you figure 7 out and get them all. Good going.

I've holed that putt on 7 a couple of times in the regular CTTH at SA. With the 92 Ghost I used the 300 foot scale (3-4 avatar moves depending on wind), didn't move the aimer and missed late to offset the early break. GL to you getting it.  :-)

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 6:44 PM

it's only a game of fun ffs.

well done bawbag

no need to defend yourself.

tbe

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 7:44 PM

Indeed, no need to defend yourself and hats off to you for your skill and determination.

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 8:50 PM

lol I cant put my ball inside 10 feet on the challenge #1.

anyway, the winners will be chosen by Random Drawing so it doesnt matter if you are #1 or 500+

I made the course couple of times. it was nice but not again, not worth it because I'm not eligible for not belonging to one of the very few WGT countries they like to work with. 

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2012 10:18 PM

Well played B!

jvr86:

lol I cant put my ball inside 10 feet on the challenge #1.

Yes you can: Drown it!

I did, too (without reproducable notes :(  ), and I agree to those who say that it's a must for a low score - go figure how often "restart" will be pressed @hole #2.

As for STA#17: The white spot (fence door?) to the right is a good starter for close hits - works well on fast greens (STA CTTH), have yet to adapt to tourney greens.

RSS