Forums

Help › Forums

Wedge or putter..

Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:02 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • buey1950
    152 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:10 AM

New to game,2 weeks or so. Can work out elevation changes and putting speeds but getting there is a different matter,was looking for some advice as to what to get 1st.A putter or a wedge (Finances only allow for one or other at the moment) and which make/brand should it be ? thx for help in advance.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:49 AM

hi

i think putter is much more important than any club but driver.

-wgticon

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:47 PM

If you can putt decent now,get rid of starter wedges and get some ping wedges as soon as they are available to you. Imo  better putters only benefit you when you have more experience overall.  gl & enjoy this great game.

• FuzzzyNutzz
    131 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:20 PM

I bit the bullet and bought some clubs yesterday, was reading the forums and from advice there i bought 2 wedges and a driver, the best i could for now.

it has improved my game a lot

ps.  i should mention the first thing i ever bought were balls.  GI2-s

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:55 AM

I say Wedge(s)!

Next to the 3WD, the wedges suck most in the Starter set. They don't allow for a consistent short game.

My recommendation is the Ping wedges or higher, granting a performance which is long-lasting.

Next club of my choice would be the Pro driver.

I'd be reluctant to spend money on a putter. The Starter is one of the best clubs in that set (I made Master with this one), and, since putting is a question of precision, a player's index finger precision is more essential. Unless meter speed is a big issue (Spider for this), my recommendation is a putter from level 35 on.

• buey1950
    152 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 8:13 AM

alosso:

I say Wedge(s)!

Next to the 3WD, the wedges suck most in the Starter set. They don't allow for a consistent short game.

My recommendation is the Ping wedges or higher, granting a performance which is long-lasting.

Next club of my choice would be the Pro driver.

I'd be reluctant to spend money on a putter. The Starter is one of the best clubs in that set (I made Master with this one), and, since putting is a question of precision, a player's index finger precision is more essential. Unless meter speed is a big issue (Spider for this), my recommendation is a putter from level 35 on.

will get 64* then,maybe R11 driver & nike putter in a few levels ? Ty.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:26 PM

Excellent advice ,alosso...cant underestimate reflexes [or index/trigger finger] just as important I think is ones ability to correctly read the break on the greens,definitely the hardest part of this game.those who do it well can make legend  with the starter putter.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:32 PM

Consider any of the ghost spider putters also I have had good results with the lvl 35 and lvl 66 ghosts. gl to you.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:33 PM

It's up to your choice!

From listening in the Forum you'll get an impression which types of putters they are.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 8:11 PM

Just a quick stats glance has me leaning towards the wedges for you for a few reasons:

1. 17 foot average distance to the pin
    2. 2.27% on putts 10-25 feet from the hole
    3. 64.65% greens in regulation

If you're not getting to the green in regulation 35% of the time, that means you're probably hitting a lot of short shots into the green.  You're averaging 17 feet from the pin, but only hitting 2.27% of your putts for that range.

Better control into the green is going to bring the number of putts down because you're getting closer to the pin.  Your average putts per hole is pretty good at 1.7 (mine is exactly the same - room for improvement, but a good start).

Someone mentioned before that the Starter wedges are horrible and I agree with that.  The starter putter isn't that bad.  When I was in your place, I bought the putter first.  If I had it to do over, I would have gone wedges first because when I did get some better wedges my scores got dramatically better.

That all said, though - go with what you feel like your the "worst" at using - do you feel like you putt well?  Do you feel like you have good control over your short game?  Whichever one you answer "no" to more strongly, go with that.

• PAGES
RSS