TIPS FOR OLYMPIC

Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:58 AM (8 replies)
  • FredtheMonk
    63 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 6:54 AM

tips for Olympic?

• FredtheMonk United States
      14 Posts

Hey, wondering if top players could share some advice about playing the Olympic Club.

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 7:43 AM

Concentrate, don't get frustrated...Learn about the elevation of each approach, attack the hole with your putts...

Then go have a drink because it one tough job you just did on the toughest course on WGT.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 9:37 AM

IMO... it's the hardest course to play with starter clubs and free ball. The distance from the tees you're playing isn't the issue, it's reading the elevation changes and where the ball will actually first hit the fairway or green off those clubs.That's the key to scoring at all with the starter clubs. You gotta know the carry distance as much as the run out distances. You'll have nearly no ability to stop the ball on up hill approaches so your short game is going to get a workout. Lay up when it's a prayer shot with a long club and use the wedges as best you can. I'd rather take the medicine in the fairway and be in control of every shot even if it means a bogey. I've made more  pars with the starters by laying up and wedging close than hitting 3 wood to a green with my eyes closed.

The place is hard for all levels so telling you to practice won't help you much but.....practice anyway.  Good luck and you're not alone in having it tough on Olympic. :-)

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2012 9:52 AM

Locate the best landing spots on the greens from your approach shots....there is one area on each green & if you can stop your ball in that area then you have a good chance of a birdie....the putt will be up hill with the least amount of break.

It takes a little time & practice........practice a good few putts on each green to find those spots.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:05 AM

also take along a good chainsaw & bottle of Prozac .. 2 bottles maybe

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:59 AM

chris5214:

also take along a good chainsaw & bottle of Prozac .. 2 bottles maybe

^^ lol that

and also is good to play some holes with  not a full drive. There are several par holes. #10 for example, play it smart, use a wood, because if you hit that $%&/# tree... bogey will be a great score. Specially with wind from right to left. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:35 AM

Speaking about laying up with Starters @OLY:

Drop those dreaded Starter wedges, get yourself some Pings or better!

• FredtheMonk
    63 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:46 AM

look, i know i should upgrade, but im cheap, ok, and my averege of 69.12 is not bad.

If your really think i shoud play Pings, gift them(i know your a legend).

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:58 AM

What does "brazen" stand for?

RSS