Forums

Help › Forums

aiming putts with the meter

Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:10 PM (38 replies)
  • JoshuaHay23
    83 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 6:31 PM

yeah i was in a skimp but lately i have been finish with more one putts then two putts.. so i do feel like I'm going in the right direction.. i feel like ill only get better with time.. ty all for the encouragement

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 6:42 PM

JoshuaHay23:
    my putting stats are as follows.. please let me know if I'm doing good enough to continue putting this away or if i should think about changing

Whatever you're doing is not working very well. My club keeps track of everyone's stats -- you would be very close to the bottom in the 3 key ones (imo): putts per hole, 1 putt % and 3 putt %. (we have 100 members, from pros to legends; in these 3 you would be worse than 90th)

The 3 putting is mostly about distance; if you can control the distance on your first putt, you should be pretty close to the hole even if you misread the break. But if you miss ding all the time, it's much harder to control distance. (the farther you are away from the ding line, the more distance you lose)

I would try what I call "combination" putting.... moving the aim arrow AND missing the ding line. So say you have a putt that breaks sharply from right to left. 

You could A. aim way right and ding it. (standard)

B. aim at the hole and miss way right (your method)

or C. aim a bit right and miss a bit right (combination) 

I think you'd feel more comfortable with that, and it should improve your distance control and accuracy. If not, then do whatever you have to ... especially regarding distance.

btw, the average among all our members for putts/hole is 1.75; (1 putt is 36.6%; and 3 putt is 10.9%). If you can get your putts per hole down to 1.75 you'll cut almost 5 strokes per 18 holes off your average.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 7:01 PM

Another often overlooked fact is this "One of the best ways to improve your putting is to improve your approach shots." ie: if your frequently over 10 ft. on your approach shots your birdie chances go way down. Imo practicing your app. shots is  an indirect but good way to improve your putting and lower your scores.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 7:25 PM

thebigeasy707:

this is the only way i've ever putted and it never stopped me moving up tiers.

tbe

Sama here tbe.

• JoshuaHay23
    83 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 7:37 PM

it took me a long time to learn not only the methods but also the game of golf.. before i got into this i couldn't tell u difference between a bogey and a birdie to save my life.. it took me quite some time just to make it to pro.. which is partly why my stats look so bad.. I've only started really improving towards the end of april.. before that i was a mess as you can tell from the stats.. but six months from now it will reflect more of my current abilities.. in my last game out of nine rounds five were one putt and the rest were two..

LeonDelBosque:

[B. aim at the hole and miss way right (your method)

i do think its slightly unfair to say my method without ever playing a game with me.. perhaps we could play a round together so you could more accurately tell me how to improve at my current abilities.. i mean i don't even think i broke par until close to the end of april that is how terrible i was but i do value your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to look at it.. if you do feel like playing a round id be more then willing.. not trying to complain or anything it just seems unfair to talk about my method without seeing me play

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 8:34 PM

JoshuaHay23:

it just seems unfair to talk about my method without seeing me play

I don't care what method you use, as long as it works. tbe said here that he putts "your" way... his scoring average is around 55, so obviously it works for him (and for many other people too); I use the miss-the-ding method sometimes as well. All I can tell you is that your putting stats are not good, so whatever you're doing is not working very well. Your driving is excellent and greens in regulation fine; putting isn't. I'm just talking about your numbers, nothing more.... the putts per hole stats for the Masters in my club range from 1.72 to 1.95 (compared to your 1.97), with an average of 1.81. That's three strokes per round. A really good putter on WGT will have a number around 1.3 or 1.4 (about 12 fewer putts per round; the difference between, say, 72 and 60). 

I'm trying to be helpful by pointing out that there's room for improvement, not criticizing your method. And if you don't want feedback, then don't post threads asking for it.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 8:52 PM

JoshuaHay23:
    when i putt.. i aim by hitting to the left or the right of the ding.. how far away from the ding depends on the break.. i don't aim with the arrow line at all.. i don't move it
    Never heard of that method..Will give it a go,just to see...

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 9:07 PM

Well my name is 3puttpaul . But the combo method is awesome advice as I am learning. I usually just use the meter miss method when I am under 5 feet . But i use the combo method all other times. My putting numbers arent great but I am learning. The hardest putts are usually when I have a bad view (nothing I can control) If the lie is very sideways you have to move the aim arrow because no matter how much left or right you are on the meter you will miss .

I love hearing the tips from top players keep the thread going.

But yes working on getting the approach shots closer is definitely important and even more important is placement on the green. If you know a certain greens lie and left or right of the cup gives you a horrendous slope then miss long or short to give yourself a straighter putt. Practice is definitely the key on all green speeds.

I prefer the faster greens just because the breaks are more readable for me as opposed to slow greens. Alot of times on slow greens you can use the ram method :) Takes the break out of play but you have to be dead center of the cup.

Its kind of like a baseball hitter. If one way is not working that day try something else. To me alot of it is feel , as I never use any charts or rulers but there are threads on here offering distance help depending on green speed and type of putter. Do a search as those charts will help you out and get you closer to the hole to elimintae the dreadful 3putt :)

Sincerely 3puttpaul :)

• kevinf2009
    279 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 10:13 PM

just a really quick question here. When you are putting, do you use the reverse angle or the standard angle when putting?

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 10:32 PM

kevinf2009:

just a really quick question here. When you are putting, do you use the reverse angle or the standard angle when putting?

both but mainly reverse gives you a straighter and better view of the line.

RSS