Forums

Help › Forums

aiming putts with the meter

Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:10 PM (38 replies)
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 10:33 PM

kevinf2009:

just a really quick question here. When you are putting, do you use the reverse angle or the standard angle when putting?

I use the reverse view as it makes the hole look bigger.

• JoshuaHay23
    83 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 10:56 PM

LeonDelBosque:

JoshuaHay23:

it just seems unfair to talk about my method without seeing me play

I don't care what method you use, as long as it works. tbe said here that he putts "your" way... his scoring average is around 55, so obviously it works for him (and for many other people too); I use the miss-the-ding method sometimes as well. All I can tell you is that your putting stats are not good, so whatever you're doing is not working very well. Your driving is excellent and greens in regulation fine; putting isn't. I'm just talking about your numbers, nothing more.... the putts per hole stats for the Masters in my club range from 1.72 to 1.95 (compared to your 1.97), with an average of 1.81. That's three strokes per round. A really good putter on WGT will have a number around 1.3 or 1.4 (about 12 fewer putts per round; the difference between, say, 72 and 60). 

really didn't mean to say it like that.. just saying if you didn't mind playing a round sometime id be able to understand more of what you're saying.. i understand i need to improve thats y i asked what i should change about my method.. i do know that i have improved because i used to be a lot higher then the 1.97 that i am now.. rereading what i said i really didn't mean to say it like that and i do apologize.. thank you for taking the time to try to explain I'm just a little bit confused about what to change

I'm trying to be helpful by pointing out that there's room for improvement, not criticizing your method. And if you don't want feedback, then don't post threads asking for it.

• JoshuaHay23
    83 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 10:56 PM

LeonDelBosque:

JoshuaHay23:

it just seems unfair to talk about my method without seeing me play

I don't care what method you use, as long as it works. tbe said here that he putts "your" way... his scoring average is around 55, so obviously it works for him (and for many other people too); I use the miss-the-ding method sometimes as well. All I can tell you is that your putting stats are not good, so whatever you're doing is not working very well. Your driving is excellent and greens in regulation fine; putting isn't. I'm just talking about your numbers, nothing more.... the putts per hole stats for the Masters in my club range from 1.72 to 1.95 (compared to your 1.97), with an average of 1.81. That's three strokes per round. A really good putter on WGT will have a number around 1.3 or 1.4 (about 12 fewer putts per round; the difference between, say, 72 and 60). 

really didn't mean to say it like that.. just saying if you didn't mind playing a round sometime id be able to understand more of what you're saying.. i understand i need to improve thats y i asked what i should change about my method.. i do know that i have improved because i used to be a lot higher then the 1.97 that i am now.. rereading what i said i really didn't mean to say it like that and i do apologize.. thank you for taking the time to try to explain I'm just a little bit confused about what to change

I'm trying to be helpful by pointing out that there's room for improvement, not criticizing your method. And if you don't want feedback, then don't post threads asking for it.

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:54 PM

thats the way ive always putted - it may not be the most solid way to putt but it works for me most of the time, just some days i dont see them as well as others. for me i found the rossa putter to be the most forgiving putter for this method. ive tried the ghosts, nikes etc but they just dont seem to be forgiving when offding putting.

• kingpin82
    145 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:25 AM

LeonDelBosque:

I would try what I call "combination" putting.... moving the aim arrow AND missing the ding line. So say you have a putt that breaks sharply from right to left. 

You could A. aim way right and ding it. (standard)

B. aim at the hole and miss way right (your method)

or C. aim a bit right and miss a bit right (combination) 

Leon has nailed it here. Option C is the way imo.

• dryspot
    727 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:35 AM

hey guys i just want to say that i putt both way's. And i still cant get it right half the time

i either go too far left or not enough right. And i am not much good trying to figure out

the math i usually just guess at it and sometimes it work's out 4 me.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2012 1:31 AM

thebigeasy707:

JoshuaHay23:

when i putt.. i aim by hitting to the left or the right of the ding.. how far away from the ding depends on the break.. i don't aim with the arrow line at all.. i don't move it

this is the only way i've ever putted and it never stopped me moving up tiers.

tbe

Yep... Same here. Using the Rossa.  I only ding it if it's a straight putt and only move the Aim if it's a fast break and still miss the ding when Putting.

Keep using this method if your happy with it and refine what your doing a bit more.

As they say in the classics... the more games you play the better you will get

Good Luck

Roger

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 2:42 AM

piztaker:

kevinf2009:

just a really quick question here. When you are putting, do you use the reverse angle or the standard angle when putting?

I use the reverse view as it makes the hole look bigger.

I Look at the reverse view. Gives me a better look at what the dots are doing, then change back to normal to Putt. (although some people will say I haven't been normal for years....lol)

If I can't work out what the dots are doing, I hit it straight.

-Roger

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:38 PM

All times I play here all people tell me I is put all wrong by miss the ding.

I still are miss ding and I a legend mine average is 1.77 

Tell me now who are wrong

Here are how. When you is putt there are blue box white line in middle. It are 3 feet each side of white line. That meaning little sticky paper on the computer window marks to 1, 2 and 3 feet. It all you need.

Not a person here is tell me I are wrong if they not have average underneath mine 1.77

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:50 PM

JoshuaHay23,

As another Legend, I will take this one step further.  The only time I EVER move the target is on drives on par 4s and 5s.  I neutralize wind by playing left or right of ding, and I neutralize break by playing left or right of ding.  The only time I move the target is if it's break on the green and it's enough that I can not curve the ball enough to even the break.

Yes, playing this way does lose you distance, which is why I do not use this method for drives.  But, it is a consistent loss, depending on how much wind you are neutralizing.  Trial and error will figure that out.

Those stats that Leon was talking about?  I'm in his club and my stats are all pretty much top 10.

1.50 Putts per hole  52.31 One Putt%  4.04 Three Putt%

No matter what method you use, practice, practice, practice.

RSS