Forums

Help › Forums

aiming putts with the meter

Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:10 PM (38 replies)
  • saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:00 AM

Great thread this. I consider putting to be the weakest part of my game. My average putts per round is a weak 21.76 which considering my average distance to pin is 16 feet is costing me a lot of shots.

Having always used the aim the marker and hit the ding method I've recently been using miss the ding a lot more. Mostly on the sub 10 foot putts; on longer ones I'll aim and hit the ding for distance control. Most the legends with good averages I've talked to about this say they use miss the ding or a combination of both. Aiming and dinging seems very rare.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:33 AM

saltiresfan:
    Great thread this. I consider putting to be the weakest part of my game. My average putts per round is a weak 21.76 which considering my average distance to pin is 16 feet is costing me a lot of shots.

Just so you know, the average putts per round stat is quite misleading as it does not differentiate between 9 and 18 hole rounds.  The avg. putts per hole is a better stat, as is the one putt, two putt, and three putt or more % stat.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:46 AM

Oh ok. That explains a lot. I play quite a few 18 hole rounds.

Mine is 1.69 then with:

One Putt % 40.20%
    Two Putt % 51.18%
    Three Putts or More % 8.61%
  • SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:40 AM

I use the Rossa and usually miss the ding a bit left or right. It works fine but not always. Guess you would have to re-adapt your putting when you move up, as the breaks will break more and they will be faster. Most of the times I use a combination, others a ding, others get lucky when I miss trying to ding... and others ding when I try to miss..... My stats are not bad but would be better if I could f... control and get that meter to do what I intend. Here is mine:

Putting Avg. Per Hole 1.38

One Putt % 61.27%

But there are days and days... and some even if the hole is 40 inches it won't go in or the meter will jump just that pixel in the direction you don't want, to see your putt lipping out or stopping one inch before... The ding is easier to ding when you don't need a ding and easier to miss when you need it, that's a fact.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:18 AM

SOYEL1:
    to see your putt lipping out or stopping one inch before...

I honestly believe they made the lips much more sensitive to lip outs.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 1:01 PM

just a suggestion ..I have found when I take 2 or 3 "warm up" strokes on the putting meter right before I hit the putt ,really seems to help hit the ding more often . I think it kind of helps your rhythm for the amount of power you set on the putting meter scale and for the feel or speed of the particular ball you are using. I also do this with driver and iron shots and seems to help there too. The ding is the thing, so anything you can do to hit it more often is key.

• DIDS54
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 2:07 PM

HOW DO GET RID OF THE PUTTER PAL HELPER?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:56 PM

hi

in game window, go to options, scroll all the way down and you will see an option to disable it.

-wgticon

• bittydog
    623 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:10 PM

gbarto:

Another often overlooked fact is this "One of the best ways to improve your putting is to improve your approach shots." ie: if your frequently over 10 ft. on your approach shots your birdie chances go way down. Imo practicing your app. shots is  an indirect but good way to improve your putting and lower your scores.

I couldn't agree more. The approach is the most important shot in the game imo. If you can drop the ball one or two yards from the pin you should really only have one putt to worry about.

RSS