Forums

Help › Forums

putting on very fast greens

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:40 AM (7 replies)
  • Gukkon
    21 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 12:59 PM

Ive recently just gone up a tier to Tour pro and not liking it tbh. The game feels very different to play now and I dont know why. It seems like wind has more of a resistance against my shots, the course feels longer for some reason (dont know if its my balls) and now the green has got a lot more difficult.

Is this normal? 

But yea about the greens. I notice they jumped from fast to very fast now and im finding it so much difficult now to putt. Even 2 putting can be difficult. Its not only the added speed that gets me because I expected that and compensate for it. But the ball breaks so much now than it used to. Is that due to the very fast green or has my putting just got worse over night? It seems to break in places it normally doesn't break in. For example on a flat surface (black) and the dots are literally hardly moving (id say over 10secs to half way if you use that putting thread system) but when you put it shoots off or tails off at the end or even worse at the very start!. 

Is this due to me hitting it too slow which is allowing the break to take over on hill,flat and downhill surfaces or has the game literally got that little bit harder due to me going up a tier?

Thanks in advance guys.

Shaun

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:44 PM

Gukkon:
    Is this normal? 

Faster greens? Yeah. Normal. 

Okay. You've made the leap from standard to fast. However you've been judging speed with fast, it's now 15% faster. There are a couple of ways to wrap your head around this. Some divide their distance to hole by 1.3. For me, the simpler answer was to think of my meter as 1.3 in size. In other words, If my default for total meter was 30 feet, then I considered the meter size at VF to be 39 feet. 

Well makes sense to me and worked nicely, up until Legend Tourney.

Now I'm even more confused. 

The hypotenuse of the elevation times the distance equals the yaw minus the updraft. 

Heh, off topic I know. Just know that the whole putting dilemma gets even worse as you progress. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:24 PM

Gukkon,

the course length has not changed now. It will change when you make Master.

The greens have become another 10 % points faster from Standard, i.e. 20% faster than that and 9.something % faster than Fast. A 30' putt will now run 36 feet, and approaches will tend to roll more than before. Perhaps you experience this as "longer courses"?

The breaks haven't changed but the way to play them. Your putts need less power now, they run slower and have more time to react on sideslopes. Up- and downslopes require a tad bit more extra consideration than before.

I'm sure you'll get accustomed to these conditions. Keep in mind that there are tournament greens (130, 135%) and championship greens (140%) available - it's like putting on ice!

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:30 PM

You get used to the speed after a few rounds.

bblackh1

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 12:48 AM

Gukkon:
    I notice they jumped from fast to very fast
    Add or subtract elevation from hole distance,divide by 1.2 & you be close..Andy

• Timmytoastman
    567 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 1:51 AM

Shaun, Have you tried putting on a tourny speed green yet? I know you are a competitive guy but man you have to realize you can't just walk onto a golf course and shoot -17.  I remember when you started & asked for advice, and I told you about how good equipment would help you out. OK you've proven that. Now comes the flip side of that argument, Practice, Practice, Practice! And then still you will get where your playng a tourney speed green someday, and believe it or not you Will miss an 18" putt. This game is made to be that way, Challenging to even the best! Hell I used to play another golf sim. not mentioning any names, but within a few weeks I was shooting -18 a round. I have'nt played it in years now! It was boring! I don;t think I'll ever master this game to that extent, and to me thats a good thing. I think I got off the subject slightly, but as for calculating putts I never used any certain method, just reading the break and feel. And believe me you need some feel when putting on a championship green! Which I hope you do soon, but not too soon cause you need a lot of experience before you get there! Have fun practicing and working your way up.

• helen1972
    347 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 1:59 AM

This is the answer I gave a couple of weeks ago to a similar thread on this problem

Hi all,

Here is the definitive answer to the question,

WTF !!

Whack The F***er, If it's short, next time, hit it harder, If It's long, ease up on the spinach !

I hope this clears up this long standing problem once and for all,

Helen.

Hope this helps,

Helen.

• Gukkon
    21 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Timmy I think your right, I am very competitive and I have been all my life. I guess im rushing to try and be a decent player on this game where I should be taking my time making it worth while progressing to the top. I understand that the game needs to challenge you otherwise yes you will be bored and probably hit the ball straight and true with your eyes closed. WGT have done a good job making it difficult to progress and a challenge is good :) 

I can get the power right on the very fast greens as I know my putter. But someone mentioned earlier about the breaks being more responsive and they are right! The breaks do swing the ball really sharply than they used to, but like you said Timmy, whats fun if you can putt easily on all levels...a challenge is good. I just need to practice like you say. By the way I have had one game on tourny greens and my god they are fast! I ended up back down fairway on one putt lol!

alosso

"The breaks haven't changed but the way to play them. Your putts need less power now, they run slower and have more time to react on sideslopes. Up- and downslopes require a tad bit more extra consideration than before."

Thats the thing im on about, the breaks are so sharp now. But yes your right I never thought about what you put down actually. Yes I realised I need to slow down a bit but never thought about with the ball going slower it allows the breaks to move the ball more. Like you said I just need to adjust more to the break and take this into account. Practice practice practice.!

Thanks once again guys

Shaun

P.S Helen, that is sound advice thank you :P

RSS