Forums

Help › Forums

Best scores counting toward average

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:45 PM (8 replies)
  • 587golfer
    10 Posts
    Sun, Jul 29 2012 9:07 PM

Just got promoted to Master tier, it seems all my bad scores are being counted for a while. Before my promotion, it seemed like every time I had a good round, my average would decrease by about 10% of the difference, i.e I have a 70 average, shoot a 66, 4 strokes lower, average goes down by .4 to 69.6

Now I shoot a 70 and my avg. goes from like 75.85 to 75.7, and `ve played at least 40 rounds since getting promoted.

Is it like this at every Tier, or have I just played so much the last month I was not paying attention to how many rounds I actually posted at Pro Tier etc. before the poor scores had no effect on my avg. 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:31 AM

hi

it'll take a while for your average to even out, so all the score will be counted.

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:51 AM

It's the same in every tier:

Basically, only a certain no. of your best scores count to your average. See there ==>

You start from scratch at each tier, therefore all your scores are "best" scores in the beginning. The average will float up and down. After a while you exceed that number and your better scores eliminate the worse, and bad scores will stay out.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:15 AM

Would be interesting if there also was another average based on Par 3, 4 & 5 Score average in your stats. If the holes played up until you quit (giving you a 10 on the hole you quit) also was counted in, it would make no sense in quitting. 

Don't know how to calculate and average from that, but I have 3.01, 3.81 and 4.48 and...
    There is normally four par 3, four par 5 and 10 par 5 on a course (I think) and I guess it could be possible to calculate my career average as:
    4x3.01 + 10 x 3.81 + 4x4.48 = 68.06

Sounds quite representative. Ok, maybe it could be both a career "real" average and a tier "real"  average. 

• 587golfer
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 2:00 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. All I know is I won`t be getting promoted for a while, so it doesn`t matter! 

Just shot 73 at Olympic and thought I played good. Par 4s are long with the starter clubs. I will now be patient and stop renting, and hopefully buy a top driver to start. Don`t see how I can shoot 62 or gulp...59 without the top stuff

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 3:30 PM

Dunno what you are after, but the average counts only finished ranked strokeplay rounds - double score from 9 hole rounds.

You may look into your stats department for such number, but I'm not at all interested to keep stats which include my Amateur or Pro time - there are plenty, starting with the driving average - excluding many good hits with my favourite ex-3WD.

FWIW, quitting a round is only good for sandbaggers or egobaggers. The former will take profit for their goal to avoid a tier-up, the latter have the "pleasure" of an aritficially crunched average - the "bad" result would be elminated anyway.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 5:24 PM

alosso:

Dunno what you are after, but the average counts only finished ranked strokeplay rounds - double score from 9 hole rounds.

You may look into your stats department for such number, but I'm not at all interested to keep stats which include my Amateur or Pro time - there are plenty, starting with the driving average - excluding many good hits with my favourite ex-3WD.

FWIW, quitting a round is only good for sandbaggers or egobaggers. The former will take profit for their goal to avoid a tier-up, the latter have the "pleasure" of an aritficially crunched average - the "bad" result would be elminated anyway.

I guess that is a response to my post.

What I am after is simply to have a average that is an average rather than a collection of best scores. When you reach legend, your average is more a reflection of how much you play rather than how good you play. The number is in fact pretty useless for anything apart from tier advancement. It is also a very bad indicator for tier advancement for that very reason.

I know average is only counted for finished games and exactly that is also the very reason many quit when they are about to have a bad score. Yes, I also know that only the best scores count but many, maybe most even, of those who quite are at the beginning of a new tier and a bad score will affect their average.

In short, the current average system is a number that can make you look good but it says nothing about how good you really are. Maybe that is the preferred way, but I was just offering a suggestion for an alternative. And no, I would not like to have my all time average either, necessarily, but a "real" average could be just as easily calculated from only the scores belonging to a certain tier.

Why I wanted all holes to count, also those from a round where you quit, is simply to remove the reason people quit. By automatically setting "10 strokes" on the hole you quit (if you have made the tee shot) will even further encourage people to finish even if they first hit the ball in the water, then into the trees and then into a bunker.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:06 PM

You're guessing right, Tightrope.

Now I understand you better, and this is a valid proposal to WGT.

Alas, I still see no reason to quit for reasons of average. Of course, if you are at the beginning of a tier, it will rise due to a bad score. Alas, later, once the minimum no. of rounds has been played (and when it counts for tiering up for us mortals), there's no room for those bad scores - they will be excluded.

Therefore, protecting the average will have only a temporary meaning - why bother?

Your last proposal punishes quitters with a bad score - would this work if part of them wants to avoid a low average and if won't count when the minimum number has been played?

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:45 PM

alosso:
    Your last proposal punishes quitters with a bad score - would this work if part of them wants to avoid a low average and if won't count when the minimum number has been played?

Well, since it is an average, a real average, all they have to do to avoid getting a low average would be to play bad in general :)

I am not suggesting it would replace the current best-of-X-rounds average as the  qualifier for a new tier, it would only be a number that more accurately displays your level of play. Sure, sandbaggers could go out playing bad on purpose, but that would be pretty pointless.  

There is other methods to handle the sandbagging problem than to prevent them from keeping a high average. All that is needed really is to have your real average open doors for you. The good clubs, the good tournaments. Set them aside for those who have proven themselves worthy. Ok, that sounded elitistic, but why not? Why should someone with an average of 94 be invited into a prize tournament?  In real life, they wouldn't.

It is not uncommon though that a player that advance to a new tier feels that he does not belong there. If the real average was a part of the moving up equation, I think it would be more fair. Currently if I, in a year as Tour Master, play fifty 9 hole rounds with a score of 29 or 30 and 500 rounds with a score worse than 35, I might be promoted to Legend. I am not sure that is ideal.

RSS