Help › Forums

DORMIE

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:56 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jiggsie
    478 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:15 PM

At the start of the last hole in a match game the word DELORMIE flashed on the screen - what does it mean?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:35 PM

It means the losing player can only tie, at best, if they were to win all of the rest of the holes.

Definition: "Dormie" is a match play term. In match play, a match is said to reach "dormie" when one of the golfers achieves a lead that matches the number of holes remaining (i.e., three holes up with three holes to play).

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:35 PM

In real golf it means you can not lose, but on here it is a bit meaningless as Americans can't seem to grasp the merits of drawing a game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:37 PM

courteneyfish:
    Americans can't seem to grasp the merits of drawing a game.

Whatever in the world makes you think that? Because AS goes to extra holes? American Ryder Cup players sure appreciate what dormie is.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:23 AM

courteneyfish:

In real golf it means you can not lose, [...]

... during the stipulated round, to be correct.

The uniform Rules of Golf state in rule 2-3 that the Committee may extend the round until there's a winner - all over the world!

I consider a draw to be the exception rather than the rule. There should be someone to pay for the coffee or the beer in the bar :)

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:29 AM

courteneyfish:

In real golf it means you can not lose, but on here it is a bit meaningless as Americans can't seem to grasp the merits of drawing a game.

Dormie - meaning

For a player or foursome partners to be 'dormie' in matchplay is to be as many holes up as there as holes remaining, ie a half at any hole is good enough to win the match. The word 'dormie' on its own is sufficient, but it is often expressed as 'dormie four' or 'dormie three', etc.., depending on the circumstances.

(Note that 'dormie' can only apply in matches where there is no 'going down the 19th', playing extra holes to decide the outcome. In the Ryder or Walker Cups, matches can be halved. In the WGC Matchplay Championship, every match must be played until a winner emerges.)

LOL...This has nothing to do with Americans. All match play, regardless of nationality origin, adhere to the rules format set forth by the governing body for a tournament. WGT for match play uses the 19th hole or playoff format to determine a winner instead of halving.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:00 AM

Oldbayrunner:
     WGT for match play uses the 19th hole or playoff format to determine a winner instead of halving.

Therefore, WGT shouldn't even be using the term....technically.

However, where I come from it simply means you have to win every hole from here out to force extras.  Dormie on 17 means you are 2DN with 2 to play.  You tie the hole, and it's over.

And, it has nothing to do with Americans 'drawing a game.'  I'm not a good artist, so I don't draw very often.  Anyway, what would a drawing of a golf game even look like?  ;)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:37 AM

Choppography:

Oldbayrunner:
     WGT for match play uses the 19th hole or playoff format to determine a winner instead of halving.

My point exactly. It should only be used in stroke-play. (Boy, you lot are gullible :-) )

• kmarline21
    442 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:58 AM

I thought it was French for you had better win this f***in hole

• Fredddddy
    177 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 8:52 AM

courteneyfish:

Choppography:

Oldbayrunner:

My point exactly. It should only be used in stroke-play.

courteneyfish:

Choppography:

Oldbayrunner:

My point exactly. It should only be used in stroke-play.

You were doing ok till you said it should be used in strokeplay wow!!!!!!!

• PAGES
RSS