Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:56 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 8:52 AM

kmarline21:
    I thought it was French for you had better win this f***in hole

K-

Too funny! That's exactly what I think when I see that word pop-up on the screen.

MC

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:34 AM

kmarline21:

LMAO. When you're on the winning side it's "do me or die!"

Stroke play??!! That's kinda weird.

• ChipNSink
    427 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 8:08 PM

kmarline21:

Heheh - then I guess I play all match play holes as "dormie". Regardless of whos up and whos down.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 4:59 AM

courteneyfish:

Choppography:

Oldbayrunner:
     WGT for match play uses the 19th hole or playoff format to determine a winner instead of halving.

Therefore, WGT shouldn't even be using the term....technically.

My point exactly. It should only be used in stroke-play. (Boy, you lot are gullible :-) )

LOL....Now pay attn: and read carefully:

Definition: "Dormie" is a match play term. In match play, a match is said to reach "dormie" when one of the golfers achieves a lead that matches the number of holes remaining (i.e., three holes up with three holes to play).

When a match reaches a state of dormie, there a couple ways the term can be applied: The match will "go dormie" or "has gone dormie"; the match has "reached dormie"; the player who leads has "taken the match dormie."

Dormie is a term that is most commonly heard during team match play competitions such as the Ryder CupPresidents Cup and Solheim Cup. In those competitions, players who finish 18 holes tied do not continue playing in order to break the tie. Instead, such matches are halved. In match play tournaments in which halves are used, the leading golfer is guaranteed at least a halve when the match reaches dormie, and the trailing golfer cannot win once the match goes dormie. In tournaments where playoffs are used to determine a match winner (such as the WGC Accenture Match Play Championship), dormie doesn't imply any such guarantees, but the term is still frequently used in those competitions by TV announcers and fans alike.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:41 AM

courteneyfish:
    In real golf it means you can not lose, but on here it is a bit meaningless as Americans can't seem to grasp the merits of drawing a game.

Thus the accursed @#$%^&* shootout in hockey.

• SafariMan62
    222 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:56 AM

courteneyfish:

In real golf it means you can not lose, but on here it is a bit meaningless as Americans can't seem to grasp the merits of drawing a game.

How would you know what most Americans think & understand....sheesh.

Ever spend time on American links with American golfers?

• PAGES
RSS