Forums

Help › Forums

How do they figure your average?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:07 PM (6 replies)
  • tdexpress
    76 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:50 PM

I just shot a plus 4 on the first of a 9 hole tourney. My average before the tourney was 67.23 after the round it was 67.22. I haven't shot under par in stroke or tourney play in a long long time. Why does my average keep going down? Look at my past scoring history and someone tell me why my average is going down?  If wgt took the average of the last 10 ranked games I've played, I would probably be about a 70. I don't get it. Any ideas?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 11:26 PM

It's written down there ==> "Changing Tiers"

Your average is from a certain no. of the best results in your current tier, 9 hole results being doubled.

So, if you have imaginary scores of 70 (or 35), 72 (or 36), 74, 76, 78, 80 in the mix of six scores counting, the resulting average is 75. Playing a 77 now will replace the 80, thus dropping the average by 3 strokes difference / 6 rounds = 0.5, i.e. to 76.5.

Thus, a score above the average can push it down. Your 39 (think absolute scores!) is 78, it will have replaced a 79 or 80, good for you. Second good news is that your average will only drop from now on, only scores of 78 (for now) and better counting in.

• tdexpress
    76 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:18 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure I understand all the math involved in figuring out the average but I get the gist. But when you say that it is "good news" my average goes down and will only go down unless I shoot over 78 is NOT "good news"! You see about a year or so ago wgt restructured the tiers. I was bumped up from tour pro to master literally overnight. Since that time they have made it  extremely harder to level up. I am guessing it takes 3 to 4 times as long to level up as it used to. With that being said, I am at Master where I struggle just to compete. With the levels progressing as slow as they do and my average going down, I will be really screwed if I reach tour master in this kind of predicament. I won't be eligible to buy any tour master clubs or balls. I would be better off just playing unranked games. Which means no tourneys and most stroke play . I could always just break out the beginner clubs and balls and sandbag the hell out of this game. It would would save me alot of money! Ah but what a waste of time! I used to love this game.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:36 PM

tdexpress:
    But when you say that it is "good news" my average goes down and will only go down unless I shoot over 78 is NOT "good news"!

Reread what he wrote:)

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:38 PM

The only difference between Master and Tour Master is slightly faster greens. It's one of the smallest jumps on here.

• DiegoBeneIII
    9 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:07 PM

tdexpress:

I would be better off just playing unranked games. Which means no tourneys and most stroke play . I could always just break out the beginner clubs and balls and sandbag the hell out of this game. It would would save me alot of money! Ah but what a waste of time! I used to love this game.

No need to worry too much tdexpress, you still have a fair amount of breathing space, especially when a "not-so-good" score is still improving your average.

It's taken over your 40 best ranked games, and your WGT "average" has to drop below 63 to progress to Tour Master. So that's basically 20 rounds of 31 and 20 rounds of 32 (or fewer of either if you hit some sweet sub 30 rounds).

Play and enjoy and in the meantime you get to enjoy your average dropping every time you squeeze out one of the "bad" rounds from your best 40 with a better round. Basically very few WGT players averages represent what they hit each time - with the notable exceptions of the top players whose consistency and talent is something to strive for. My average is certainly not indicative of the mountains of dung I churn out for the occasional joy of one wonderful round where everything is magic :)

So Tourney on and play as many ranked games as you like and continue to collect the sweet xp - no need  to stress too much about tiering up yet. Sure if you start hitting 31s and 32s all the time you'll be ready for the not so big jump to the next tier. 

Cheers
    Chris 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:10 PM

TD,

be assured, your ave. will not go up again as long as you are in that tier!

It sure is a difference from TP to Master but you have decent equipment and the high-level G20s are available to you. They are vg TM tools - I know!

You have played some decent sub-35 rounds, no need to moan.

Have fun and hit it straight!

RSS