Forums

Help › Forums

I'm confused and annoyed

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 2 2012 9:22 PM (9 replies)
  • davedennis
    28 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:36 PM

I have played the front 9 at St Andrews 100's of times.

On the 1st I have never hit a ball in the brook, in the last 3 days I have hit 3 in the brook. the reason is this, every time.

I have played with nike balls with the most spin according to the chart (4 stars or 4 1/2), when chipping, these balls, stop, maybe roll back a little ( a couple of feet tops) wuich is fine, even when the pin is at the front of the green, near the brook.

However, the callaways with less spin( according to the stats) suddenly shoot back and into the brook including one that spun back into the brook from the back of the green some 20 odd yards at pace even without full backspin on the ball.

How is this possible, surely the nikes have more spin but its the callaways that roll back more, and I would personally retrieve them from a brook that is no more than 4 inches deep ( ive been).

I wish the balls behaved like the stats said and did what they are supposed to do, I feel that these lost balls have been unjustly taken from me as if stolen.

has anyone else experienced the same thing or is it just me

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 2:50 PM

hi

I would have liked to see the replays. Only way it would run 20 yards back if you hit a punch or full shot with full bs using cleveland wedges. Chipping over the creek would never have produced that unless u didnt get to the flat spot and it simply rolled back in the water. I would recommend pitching or flopping over the creek. It's much more reliable and a safer shot.

-wgticon

• promark1
    412 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 3:13 PM

that does not sound right at all but i would have to agree with icon that pitch or flop is the shot i have not used the chip shot since hack level.if there is a strong tailwind on that hole i hit 3 wood leaving 60 or 70 yards to pin dont like them fiddly 30 yarders over that creek

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 3:41 PM

WTF shots are a part of the game when shot perturbations are generated by random numbers with a Gaussian distribution.  That said, I have seen a replay where a fellow's shot out of a bunker went backwards.  Extreme, yes, but decidedly rare and I guess one has to live with such things.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 4:02 PM

bubbadork:

WTF shots are a part of the game when shot perturbations are generated by random numbers with a Gaussian distribution.  That said, I have seen a replay where a fellow's shot out of a bunker went backwards.  Extreme, yes, but decidedly rare and I guess one has to live with such things.

i agree , and maybe its in my head ,but every time there is an up date ,  i dont have the same result(with my same usual shot or play) ,for a short while,,,,  but i gotten used to small changes,  i strugle some for a few holes ,some time a day , then every thing gets back to normal .....Then like i said ,it could be in my head ,not always sober if you know what  i mean LOL  :)Buddadork    post is spot on  for me :)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:52 PM

Ditto on the confused and annoyed. Way to many unexplainables as Yancy would say, and so forth and whatnots. Sure waste a lot of balls trying to get a decent game anymore. The plan is still working. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:09 PM

The green slopes down towards the burn so little or no backspin is needed.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:33 PM

courteneyfish:

The green slopes down towards the burn so little or no backspin is needed.

To add,   not wise to use bspin with a head wind most times

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:41 PM

Oh and Miss Fish,,,you got my vote for most improved player of the month..congrats

• Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Sun, Sep 2 2012 9:22 PM

Confused and Annoyed sounds like most of the people in the forums.

RSS