Forums

Help › Forums

BALLS - Bought vs free

Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:07 PM (31 replies)
  • Laitram
    7 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 3:15 PM

I had 2 sleeves of Callaway balls in reserve in my "bag". When i ran out of the last ball of a sleeve, WGT brought me back to basic balls.

Can someone explain that?

THAT is very unfair.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:45 PM

Were they the identical balls? Regular and vapor are considered two different balls. So are i(s) and i(z). The same letter designation but for different levels also constitutes different balls.

My guess would be that while they were Callaways in your bag they were not the same ball or they would have combined and you would have been able to play them.

• faithalone
    18 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:37 PM

That for me is normal, every time I run out of any sleeves of balls, WGT automatically changes the next play with the use of the basic balls for the rest of the game. You can't change any form of clubs and balls during the game. And since it is the balls only that can run out during the course of the game, basic balls automatically replaces which ever ball you started with.

Faithalone :)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:42 PM

As WGT uses the one ball rule, it does not allow you to change from one type of ball to another, but allows you to finish the game with the starters ball. It should have given you the option to purchase more balls (at the start) or when the last ball was put into play. If you dont purchase at the start of the round and its your last ball of this type you are out of luck if you lose it (or its life comes to an end) - its happened to me. The others in your bag must have been a different Callaway than you started with.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:46 PM

About identical balls:

A logo or a different colour constitute a different ball with regard of the One Ball Rule.

• Milfshake
    1,260 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:33 PM

We should be able to select a NEW ball... Or is that against some golf rule?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:51 PM

Milfshake:

Yes it is.

• Milfshake
    1,260 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:53 PM

Thank you piztaker.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:54 PM

Milfshake:

It's the One Ball Rule dictating no new selection during a game - a local rule which is applied for all PGA Tour Tournaments.

The RoG themselves only demand to play from tee to hole with one ball, except for admitted changes, e.g. when playing OOB or into the water. Between holes, players may select whatever they like.

An inofficial game not allowing the inter-hole exceptions is "Match Play Madness".

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 11:28 PM

I disagree, the rules state you can change the ball after a hole, however the PGA and most tournaments have the one ball rule. As a rule of thumb, USAGA only uses the one ball rule, those governed by the R&A allow the change after a hole unless the one ball rule is applicable.

RSS