Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:07 PM (31 replies)
  • SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:55 AM

Milfshake:
    Or is that against some golf rule?

Yes, in Pro games.

Weekenders dont play like that. which is the majority of WGT

We aren't playing WGT on Pro level or stakes, we should have at least the option of playing Amateur Rules or Pro Rules.

• Laitram
    7 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:35 AM

srellim234:

Were they the identical balls? Regular and vapor are considered two different balls. So are i(s) and i(z). The same letter designation but for different levels also constitutes different balls.

My guess would be that while they were Callaways in your bag they were not the same ball or they would have combined and you would have been able to play them.

Yes, one of the sleeves was identical to the other than ran out during the game.

• Laitram
    7 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:37 AM

alanti:

As WGT uses the one ball rule, it does not allow you to change from one type of ball to another, but allows you to finish the game with the starters ball. It should have given you the option to purchase more balls (at the start) or when the last ball was put into play. If you dont purchase at the start of the round and its your last ball of this type you are out of luck if you lose it (or its life comes to an end) - its happened to me. The others in your bag must have been a different Callaway than you started with.

That's funny, no? I can buy balls while I'm playing but NOT BEFORE the game starts...

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 3:35 AM

Au contraire:

Our avatars are regarded as professionals playing on Open Championship courses only.

No amateur option, no handicaps, no practice on the courses, professional tees for the Legends.

Plus the One Ball Rule.

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:46 AM

SHRUDE:
    We aren't playing WGT on Pro level........

No, your playing Tour Master level 94........  :-)

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:59 AM

Laitram:

I had 2 sleeves of Callaway balls in reserve in my "bag". When i ran out of the last ball of a sleeve, WGT brought me back to basic balls.

Can someone explain that?

THAT is very unfair.

It reminds you when you are on the last ball of that type. Just pay attention next time.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:16 AM

Laitram:
    I had 2 sleeves of Callaway balls in reserve in my "bag". When i ran out of the last ball of a sleeve, WGT brought me back to basic balls.

They may even have been the Same Callys (s) or (z),but if they were gifted to you say for cc comp win & you had 4 cally s in your bag you won't now have 7,you'll have 4+3.....2 seperate bundles.So when the 4 run out it doesn't switch to the other sleeve of the same type of balls...They are recognised as two seperate entities. ?? That's what happened to me anyway when I got gifted Max balls,had 2 in bag which became 2+3 & had to use the 2 Up then switch to new sleeve..strange...Andy

• Milfshake
    1,260 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:07 PM

alosso:

Milfshake:

We should be able to select a NEW ball... Or is that against some golf rule?

It's the One Ball Rule dictating no new selection during a game - a local rule which is applied for all PGA Tour Tournaments.

The RoG themselves only demand to play from tee to hole with one ball, except for admitted changes, e.g. when playing OOB or into the water. Between holes, players may select whatever they like.

An inofficial game not allowing the inter-hole exceptions is "Match Play Madness".

Since you cant change the ball then how does WGT change it to a PLAIN old white ball when you run out? Isnt that changing the ball...... 

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:15 PM

It is changing the ball.  However the only other alternative would be a forfeit so I guess that WGT has concluded that to avoid forfeits they will default to the free ball.

I can see their issues with it but in reality I think that the game should just give you the option to buy more of the same balls, that message seems to appear at the start of each game when you don't have any extras of the brand you are using, or allow you to click on which type of ball you want to play.  I suspect that since the equipment changes have to be made prior to starting a game, that WGT can't allow a ball change without allowed club changes midgame.

I just don't think this is a big deal, just check your ball stock before you play.

• ljbast
    943 Posts
    Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:17 PM

alcaucin:
    They may even have been the Same Callys (s) or (z),but if they were gifted to you say for cc comp win & you had 4 cally s in your bag you won't now have 7,you'll have 4+3.....2 seperate bundles.So when the 4 run out it doesn't switch to the other sleeve of the same type of balls...They are recognised as two seperate entities. ?? That's what happened to me anyway when I got gifted Max balls,had 2 in bag which became 2+3 & had to use the 2 Up then switch to new sleeve..strange...Andy

Not sure about this, I use Cally (z) and always when gifted, or bought, they add to my ball count. Maybe the Max balls that were gifted to you were the different level from the 2 you already had.

RSS