Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping?? Sheesh and the game...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 3 2012 12:03 PM (4 replies)
  • Doctahpaul
    38 Posts
    Tue, Oct 2 2012 7:28 PM
    Whats up with that! Never played a golf game with such impossible chipping etc...yes I know I have to learn the game's quirks but wow. So far as a noob...I have noticed that putts need alot of stick on any uphill. Even level 2 foot putts need way more than what 2 feet would be on the *line*. I miss the ability other games, like Links, had to draw and fade. I am playing Whistler and that really could use some better ball movement. I know you can a bit but you are penalized too much imho. I am enjhoiying myself though. I have a long way to go to get back in the groove! Last time I played was way back, there was an online league, I forgot the name though. It had tons of people, used Links too. There were 4 round tournaments each weekend and alot more. Similar to this, but it had many more courses. Don't know what happened to it though. I remember quitting for some reason and when I checked bakc a few years later it was no more. Wish I could remember the name...many of you people here probably played it for sure! Oh well. This game is fun, and hoepfully I can get some of the aggravation factor out of it so i can enjoy more than swear and throw my clubs!!! lol Doc
  • WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 9:07 AM

HI

give this guide a read and see if it answers some of your questions.

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:39 AM

Nothing to add to that brilliant tutorial.

About putting:

- The putter is the only club with linear characteristics from 1 to 100 %.

- putting length depends on green speed, standard = 100 %, the others vary in 10% steps.

- for uphill and downhill, the average rule of thumb is 1 foot per inch of elevation, varying with green speed.

- sidehill slopes are a matter of experience to me.

• Doctahpaul
    38 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:43 AM
    Chipping..it's the half shots that kill me, of course perfect clicking on the line does help! Putting...the side slopes are my problem. Getting better but yes it seems to be a big experience thing. Of course when I do the perfect read I click a hair soon or late, and miss by just that much...:( It seems that the uphill stroke power is excessive..but thats the game so I need to learn it. I have clicked 20% more on an 8 inch incline and still been shot...gets sggravating but i will figure it out i hope!
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 12:03 PM

50 % chips are borderline. Some say "no chips below 70%". Always take the smallest scale possible (except with putter).

Side slopes are experience and feel and luck. Sometimes when I can't decide if straight or left or right I just hit it, and more often than you'd think it's the missed ding which sinks the putt :)

Up and down is not about %% but linear addition. 8" incline is about 8' more putting length, same on short and long putts.

Have fun and hit it str8!

RSS