Help › Forums

The real season...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:33 AM (36 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 5:51 AM

It all starts Friday.  :-)

As much as I would like to see the  NY vs Washington matchup, the realist in me says the Motor City is on a roll and looks to be heading to a collision with the nation's capital. 10 teams, no posers, everybody's in it.  :-)

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:06 AM

That Cardinals logo sure is pretty again, isn't it?  9th time in 13 years with 2 WS's and 3 visits in that span.  Gotta love a baseball town!  (That said, even I think Friday will be a taaaaaall order for them.)

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:02 AM

One rather interesting variable is that the Nats' player's, to a man, seem to feel like they are playing with house money at this point.  They finished with the best record in baseball.  No matter what happens in the post-season, this season will ALWAYS be seen as a stunning success.

A little off-topic tidbit for you.  On Aug. 29th, mired in a 5 game losing skid, Davey Johnson calls a team meeting.  After that meeting, the Nats go 21-13 to finish, and during that last stretch of 34 games, arguably the best offensive player in baseball has been their 19 year old CF.  The last 34 games Bryce Harper hit .341, slugged .699 with 10 HRS and led all MLB in runs, extra base hits, and OPS (1.106).  Not to mention that a kid that two years ago was a catcher this year turned into one of the best CFers in baseball.  We can check 'clutch down the stretch' off the list of questions about Harper.

Truth:  I don't care which team the Nats get in the division series.  I think I prefer Atlanta.  They aren't as good as StL offensively.  StL can get hot and hurt the Nats outstanding pitching, whereas I think the Braves will struggle to score runs.  But the Braves have better pitching, especially since Medlin and Lohse will likely be used in the WC game.

Would I like an I-95 DC-Balt. series?  Meh, I once wished that B-more not have success while Angelos is still the owner, so I'll say 'No'.  Love to see the Nats and Oakland.  What many don't realize is that one of the reasons for the As success is that Nats.  The trade for Gio Gonzalez last year brought the As a number of the essential components that have led them to this point.

And yes, I'd be remiss in adding that, while the Nats have been a remarkable story this year, and hopefully will continue to be, and the Orioles have been surprising, stunning, both pale compared to the Oakland As winning the AL West over big-$$$ powerhouses Texas and LAA.  Astounding.

Prediction:  Rangers over Reds in 7

My award winners:

AL MVP - Cabrera: Although Trout was truly more 'valuable', being a tremendous CF as well as the best baserunner in MLB, I can't in good conscience pass on the first Triple Crown winner in 45 years as MVP.  Also, Cabrera's Tigers will play on, and he was torrid and instrumental in that.

AL CY - Price:  Verlander is a force of nature, but Price led the AL in record and ERA while facing the highest OPP OPS of any of the top contenders for this award.  With all due respect to Verlander's innings and Ks, Price faced the toughest lineups and pitched the best.

AL RoY - LOL

AL MoY - Tossup (Melvin):  I was going to go for Showalter, and in fact have been pretty set on that, but now... damn... hard to pass on the guy who led the As to the AL West crown.

NL MVP - Posey:  Interesting choice... in my mind, the best two candidates for this award both missed the playoffs(McCutchen and Braun), and it's close enough for that to matter.  I found it very hard to give it to Posey when it isn't clear he even had the best season among post-season NL catchers this year (Molina of StL), yet Posey had less help, especially when Melky got busted.

NL CY - RA Dickey:  Deserving... Cueto, Kershaw, Gio Gonzalez and others (Kimbrel, Chapman) had outstanding seasons, but Dickey earned this award all season.  First knuckleballer ever to win a Cy Young.

NL RoY - Bryce Harper:  Six weeks ago Bryce wasn't in my top 3, and accuse me of bias if you will, but for the way he finished the season and for becoming an outstanding CFer nearly overnight, Bryce would get my vote if'n I had one.

NL MoY - Davey Johnson:  The Washington Nationals finished the regular season with the best record in baseball.  'Nuff said.

2013 MVP and CY - Harper and Strasburg... and I don't think I'm really going out on much of a limb, health provided.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:34 AM

It's one thing to have a dream year and own your league. The postseason is a totally different game. The chump teams are out of it and now you have to face quality teams and pitchers every game. Throw the regular season out, it's a stat in the book. This is where the real games begin.

I find the comment about Trout a bit absurd. Detroit would not be in the playoffs without Cabrerra, plain and simple. That's what MVPs do, get their teams in.

You're right about the bias.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:04 AM

I know the argument surrounding Cabrera and Trout.  But, my vote would go to Cabrera with no 2nd thoughts......and I come from STL where Molina is without a doubt our MVP (and arguably the NL's).

Any time someone wins a triple crown, I throw all else out the window and hand him all the accolades over a 2nd best bat that dives for fly balls and steals some bases, too.  Where my argument falls apart, and I recognize this, is on WAR numbers.  I believe Trout has Cabrera crushed in that statistical category.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:25 AM

The way I resolve that is by asking where each team would be if they didn't have the player. Cabrerra was just too much of a force every time he came to the plate. 

Dickey of the Mets is a good example. They were an inferior team and he still won 20 games so you know it was his effort. That's more worthy of a Cy Young award than a part season pitcher. Strass will win it next year if he stays healthy, anyway.

• olkiwi63
    45 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:26 AM

Hey americans.. this so called "World Series". Just how many other countries actually have a team in the competition? Or is this just some yankee bullshite to make it bigger than it actually is?

It is never ok to promote national hatred on these forums. I will refrain from doing so or I will be subject to moderation.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:23 PM

Hey you with the ass-backwards seasons, it's been going on since 1903.  Take it up with history.  What popular sport do you offer that the world has even heard of anyway?  We have several with CLEARLY the best athletes in the world participating........like golf, for instance.  The only exception being futbol/soccer/etc.

Joking aside, how bout next time you either make your sarcasm obvious or just let a fun thread have it's run without being a killjoy?  

As for countries participating, there are Canadians, Mexicans, Dominicans, Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Japan, Venezuela, Cuba, Nicauragua, Curacao, Korea, and even your neighbor down there, Austrailia.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:46 PM

One of my favorite Yankee relievers came from Down Under-Graeme Lloyd. Left hander could chuck the pea and get lefties out. He was part of the deal that sent David Wells to Toronto for Roger Clemens. :-)

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 3:12 PM

YankeeJim:

WILDCARD PICKS:

Texas over Baltimore

St. Louis over Atlanta

ALDS PICKS:

Oakland over Detriot

New York over Texas

NLDS PICKS:

Cincinnati over San Fransisco