Forums

Help › Forums

The real season...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:33 AM (36 replies)
  • KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:28 AM

Todd Frazier has a good arguement for R.O.Y as well. Im sure Harper will win it because of all the"Tebow-esque" coverage with him all year and how many people even know Todd Frazier. LOL!

HAWK

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 7:56 AM

Frazier would have won it easily if the Reds had somewhere to put him when the team was fully healthy.  But with Votto and Rolen, there was no where for Frazier to play.  Yes, Frazier, Miley, and that catcher from SD who's name escapes me now are all deserving candidates.  Like I said, with 6 weeks to go, Bryce wasn't in my top 3, but down the stretch he tore the cover off the ball.  Crunch time.  I think the Nats can directly thank Bryce for winning the division and not having to go the WC route.  Ask ATL how the WC worked out for them.  Bryce had an OPS of over 1.100 for the last 1/4 of the season, and it's the way he swung the bat with the pennant on the line that makes me choose Bryce.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 11:08 AM

That's a winner!  (Worst umped game ever, but still a winner).

As for the "ring a bell" comment earlier, I will say that the European team plays most of it's tourneys on the PGA tour instead of the European Tour.  That was my point.  The money is over here in most sports....therefore, the talent follows.  I don't control it.  That's simply the way it is........until China takes over sports, too.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 12:03 PM

YankeeJim:
    Interesting side note. The one game WC playoff burns a team's ace. LOL. Not Baltimore. They got away with throwing Saunders and should be lined up just the way they would have wanted with the starting rotation.

Saunders is what passes for an ace on the Os... I think you could have chosen any of the Os top 3 or 4 starters and been a wash.  They chose Saunders because he was the most experienced of the lot.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 2:36 PM

JaLaBar:
    Saunders is what passes for an ace on the Os... I think you could have chosen any of the Os top 3 or 4 starters and been a wash.  They chose Saunders because he was the most experienced of the lot.

The O's burned their staff in the series against the Rays. Somebody would have had to go on short rest and as marginal as they all are, I think it was Saunders' turn in the rotation. They didn't get a day off before the WC game.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:30 AM

No, Cano definitely isn't 

YankeeJim:
    chopped liver
    , but I he also didn't 
    YankeeJim:
    smoked them both when it counted
    ... but he definitely was blistering down the stretch.  Did he set a Yankee record for consecutive multi-hit games?

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 11:29 AM

Believe it or not all I have to say is Go Yanks. Nothing else matters what you did in the regular season its just a marathon to get to the playoffs.

Now we seperate the men from the boys. The best pitching will win.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:12 PM

JaLaBar:
    Did he set a Yankee record for consecutive multi-hit games?

I think he came close but I don't pay much attention to stats like that. It's "what are you doing for me know?" that counts. He led the charge to the end where they went 14-4 to close the season. He's as close to an MVP as the Yankees have but he's too streaky. This could be the streak the Yankees need, though. They're much different than last year and tonight we will see which team shows up. A 5 game series wouldn't surprise me but a sweep would surprise me less.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:24 PM

I'm happy :)... I think, my opinion, the Cards just lost the series today.  Gio Gonzalez walks 7 and allows a run on a wild pitch and you don't get the win?  Bases loaded with no out in the 7th and you allow the Nats to get out of it on two pitches with no damage?  This was the Cards chance to get a lead they have to have with the first two at home and Wainwright on the hill.  Outstanding games from the Nationals bullpen and Ian Desmond.  Jordan Zimmermann goes tomorrow for Washington.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Jayson Werth, who left 7 men in scoring position in the game, was the reason I'm smiling.  He took a 2 run HR away from Descalso, fighting both the wall and the sun for the ball.

A few interesting stats:  The Nats, as a team, hit the Cards likely 4 starters HARD.  Wainwright was the best of them, with the Nats players having a career .293 average against him.  The other three likely starters, the Nats players have hit a career better than .300 against all of them, including better than .400 against one (I forget which one).  Mattheus was, as far as I can tell, the first post-season pitcher ever to record a full inning in the books throwing two pitches.  He came in with the bases loaded and no outs, his first pitch induced a fielder's choice at home, his second a 5-4-3 double play.  

The next inning Davey Johnson showed why he'll be NL MoY, both by sacrificing with Espinosa to move the runners after Espy had K-ed his first three at bats, then by pulling pinch hitter Chad Tracy back and sending Tyler Moore up to get the game-winning 2 run single.  The NL average for pinch hitters was .238, Nats pinch hitters hit .290 on the season.  Just what they have been doing all season long, they keep on keepin' on.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Mon, Oct 8 2012 4:50 AM

Yeah That bases loaded no out thing was a gem. That rarely happens without at least 1 runner crossing the playte. Just as rare as a triple play in the majors. :)

I love the Cards but this is going to be the Nationals turn this year to get to the WS. I got money on it so they better :)

RSS