Forums

Help › Forums

What Am I Doing Wrong.!!!!!

Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:28 AM (8 replies)
  • mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:17 AM

My computer is running as smooth as it has ever done. My meter runs as smooth as I have ever seen it. My shots are the same as I have always played them. My putting angles and distances are as perfect as I can get them. BUT!!!!!! I am am .62 away from that illusive average of 61 and now, for the life of me, I CANNOT PUTT A BIRDIE. It seems as though the game has turned against me.

When I play a game with friends in an AS match or Skins game my play is good again. No problems. But when I have a go at lowering my average to get to that 61, everything goes awry. Putts stop 2 inches from the hole, approach shots just don't make it, the wind that was going left to right somehow takes my ball to the left and I landed exactly where I put my aim marker, breaks on the green that are showing slow are actually fast or not there at all, green speeds that show as tournament are actually playing as very fast.

The whole game just turns upside down.

I have just had a two week slow down on my usual play because I have not been well thinking the break might do me good and when I come back everything would play better. ha ha ha:~)) Wishfull thinking. Its still the same........

Any tips on how the hell I can get those illusive 6 birdies!!!! They don't sell them in the Pro Shop :~)) LOL

Mel

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:37 AM

0.62 is a long way as I remember well from my time as a Tour Master. Only advice I can give is to just put it to the back of your mind and just play. 

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:38 AM

Go play STA to lower your average as so many others do. It wont make you a better player but you will get to 61 the easy way.

• sardono
    114 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:24 AM

pjctas0822:

Go play STA to lower your average as so many others do. It wont make you a better player but you will get to 61 the easy way.

I  hate to disagree with that, but I know players who have done that and then the Legend tier just smacks them down.

I remember the last .2 as the worst, wow took me like 2 weeks. But I did not go the easy way, I played the unlimited tourney's, I figured if I could make it when playing in the worst conditions it would make me a better player. I finally did make it with a 28, what a relief.

Then the legend tier smacked me down, but not as hard as the others.

If I was you I would cherish your last days as a Tour Master.

Just think of all the things you have to look forward to. Tourney's with 30 mph winds every single one, some of the par 4's you can't even reach in 2 with a driver 3wd, when that 30 mph wind is in your face. 500 rounds before your average stops going up and down like an elevator. I still have around 150 to go. A 299yd par 3, and hitting anything below a 7 iron will seem like a wedge shot. Just to name a few.

So just relax and enjoy your last days as a TM, the real fun is yet to come. The putts will fall again, the wind will react like its supposed to, just a matter of time. Just play the weekly, monthly unlimited tourneys's and it will come, your putting too much pressure on yourshelf, just relax and enjoy the ride, while you can. .... lol

But really, enjoy the last few weeks of TM, I wish I woulda taken more time to enjoy it. I was in such a hurry, now I'm here looking back and saying why did I not take the time to relax and enjoy it more.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:50 AM

LOL. A reprint of a post that's been happening since the Legend tier happened. Different poster, later date but always the same-that last few hundredths of a point in the average.

You're wanting it too hard, Mel. It'll happen as soon as you quit worrying about it. Think of it as the cup getting smaller and make those putts more dead center. I bet you putt by missing, too. Think of that forgiveness as shrinking and make better putts.

You'll get there.  :-)

• zzturk
    150 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 3:07 AM

Everyone who tells you to cherish your last days as TM are absolutely correct!

200 credits is small compensation for putting you into shark infested L tier, especially if you're not ready to approach greens with two more clubs ... after learning new landing zones for your drives.

But if you REALLY want to average down more quickly, simply create a free CC tourney with conditions as benign as possible! Lowest winds, greens F or VF, easy pins, and most importantly, the course where you feel you play best..

But the first CC in which I did that, the anal owner tossed me!

That's not a problem here at The AFC Northern Golfers.

Good luck with whichever choice you make.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 7:06 AM

I had the exact opposite...with .26 to go

Putts dropping from eveywhere , v/low and 1st / 2nd sub 60 rounds...at the time I swore wgt were trying to bump me up quickly...

The only thing I regret is not entering more RGs as low ave T/Master  :)

Does sound like you are trying too hard though.....Andy

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 8:03 AM

I was like sardano, got to 61.2 and couldn't hit a fairway, let alone make a birdie putt. Seemed like that was my destiny 61.2  Then out of nowhere I get a 28 and there I was, Legend. I have been steadily working back to my avg in real life, 81-82. I love the Legend tier, but it does have it's ups and downs. Keep it fun always.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:28 AM

Mel,  everything been said here , i can only say its the same for all that are getting close to there goal.......    be patient  one morning  you will play  and  you will start having  30   31   and you will make it .....   (the last mille to the finish line is the hardest )    Francois (Frapp)   

RSS