Help › Forums

oakmont

Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:24 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • danabrenn421
    8 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 4:45 PM

hello.......

any help would be totally appreciated...

when playing closest to pin...how does one keep the ball on the green on the 1st hole at oakmont. 

i feel i have tried just about everything....obviously not....but this is silly it seems.

thanks to any and all who respond with assistance.

best wishes.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:43 PM

If there is no answer from anyone, I'll break out the starter clubs, give it a go and let you know tomorrow...Andy

• borntobesting
    9,687 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 11:01 PM

Until you get clubs and or balls good enough to stop the ball don't go at the pin. Shoot to the far right side of the green and it should stay on. 

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:38 AM

Like a hack to play Oakmond and Bathpage Black is very very heavy. I start to learn the first time on the Ocean and St. Andrews Courses.

You need some time if you learn out some specials here. Nobody can say , here or there  you have to do something on a strange way. There are very much options they give you a lot of different Questions.

Show forward.. and enjoy

Gr.. Cad61

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:12 AM

From 170 yds, downhill, you face two problems:

- the generally low trajectory of the Starter equipment, resulting in "good" roll length.

- the short lengths of the clubs, making long irons necessary (I use a 6i, you a 4i?)

- the feeble spin of clubs and ball.

I recently played a similar approach shot in a Starters tourney, chose a shorter club and applied a good portion of backspin. It stopped close to the other pin pos. in the back. It was essential to utilize the sticky area before the green as a stopper. With a bit of luck, it will not stick there but roll slowly onto the green and stop eventually.

Custom balls may be a budget way to better the situation due to their higher spin rate - you might want to wait until level 30/40 before buying any clubs.

Edit: My try with high level clubs (replay)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:54 AM

danabrenn421:
    any help would be totally appreciated...

I used your 180 3i at 83% of full power, and balls you use..It is on my re-plays under "here is the result  gl".......Andy

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 10:25 AM

Andy...Very nicely done...It might help him more if your let him know how you came up with the calculation to make that shot using that club and that % of his meter given the wind in your replay...

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:07 AM

I'm afraid it won't help him that much, maybe even confusing as the math to work that shot out won't apply to every hole / course...would need a full wind chart, notes from when  I played with those clubs,experience of f/ways and bounces etc etc.but as you know all that comes from playing each hole / course 100s of times.

Just thought he could see HOW it's possible to get into a hole like that with his gear,(ie bounce and roll,not having to fly it at the pin each time) then he can play around with diff winds, %  etc. I know all the calculations we use now would've put me right off at Hack tier )...Andy

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:19 AM

LOL I here ya there Andy...Yeah back then it would have spun me too...Did a lot of searching and trying to get a little almost comfortable with this game... key word "ALMOST".. Still have quite a few wtf moments.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:27 AM

First i was a hack, i played a lot of Alternat Shot games, and was happy to invited with masters and legends. Later i ask in the forum, step by step, whats going on here, and aim searching for answers. If you are not a idiot, there are some here they like to help. Thats not the problem. Accept in Alternat Shots, some give you tips if you are asking. This is a history about respect and learning by doing.

Think at first its learn, how give the Pin the right situation, with distance and wind direction. And than what he have to know, the big scale give you the distance, and the small over tells you the difference to less or more, to the pin.

For a starting hack its to much, i think, to give him to muhc calculations options. One imported point is, to check out the right feeling, whats going on the course.

Regards  Cad61

• PAGES
RSS