Help › Forums

Disgruntled players

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:55 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • coolpar
    152 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:55 AM

When setting up a ranked match play game my opponent complained that I was using upgraded clubs instead of starters. He suggested ending the match which I did. Is this common? Any way to avoid the situation? Have only been playing for 1 1/2 months. Is there something I should know?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 12:34 PM

This is a weird request by your opponent. Ev1 uses the best equipment he can afford unless there is a special agreement beforehand for the fun of playing with minor clubs.

Your opponent must have been anxious to lose the match for any thinkable reason. Alas, it's better to drop the match before the start than to get disconnected in between.

And your equipment certainly isn't too elevated, you even carry some Starters in the bag.

If you'd accept a hint, replace the remaining Starter wedge and get yourself a decent 3WD.

These two Starter clubs are the worst in the Starter set AFAIR.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:01 PM

Very odd request as alosso stated, everyone likes to use the best equipment they can use and afford. the one thing I will say about your opponent is that at least they asked for the game drop rather than just quitting leaving you in the lurk.

As for alosso's advice re the 3 wood I totally agree, as for the wedge I partly agree (I still have a starters lob wedge in my bag for those awkward distance shots). Just look at your yardages to decide where the gaps exist - you may find with a good 3 wood you may not even use the hybrid and opt for another wedge.

Enjoy the game and welcome to the forums.

• coolpar
    152 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:10 PM

Thanks for the thoughts and advice from both of you. I appreciate it.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:16 PM

Ty al!

Please point out where a Starter wedge is superior to a custom wedge. It sure is minor when it comes to any short game shot and stopping full shots on the dime, you agree?

• borntobesting
    9,687 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:22 PM

alosso:

This is a weird request by your opponent. Ev1 uses the best equipment he can afford unless there is a special agreement beforehand for the fun of playing with minor clubs.

Your opponent must have been anxious to lose the match for any thinkable reason. Alas, it's better to drop the match before the start than to get disconnected in between.

And your equipment certainly isn't too elevated, you even carry some Starters in the bag.

If you'd accept a hint, replace the remaining Starter wedge and get yourself a decent 3WD.

These two Starter clubs are the worst in the Starter set AFAIR.

I would go one step farther and drop the hybrid as well and get yourself 3 good wedges. A 3rd wedge is much more useful and used many more times than the hybrid is. There are times when I will even take the 3 wood out and carry 4 wedges. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:36 PM

+1!

I was thinking budget :)

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:43 PM

I see you are in a country club. Is it possible this player is a member of your club also, and that you might have been playing a CC game where there was club restrictions? Just a thought, you never know.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:57 PM

alosso:

Ty al!

Please point out where a Starter wedge is superior to a custom wedge. It sure is minor when it comes to any short game shot and stopping full shots on the dime, you agree?

Don't get me wrong, the starters wedges are crap, and yes it is impossible to impart any spin on the ball to stop it on a dime. Where I find the lob wedge (for me) useful is the for the 40 yard shot (i find this distance tough using a full shot using a 75 yard wedge and have not yet found a 64 degree wedge for this distance - open to advice :) however) and where flop is not a viable option.

For the OP i think at his level it is important not to have too large a yardage gap, say between his 3W and 3I to avoid having to manufacture too may shots. Having said that if the green is not reachable in regulation, a lay up and a good wedge is often the best answer.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:19 PM

I have a 50 yds wedge, Z-Satin, with a 41 yds punch, and there are 2 AVGs of that distance.

In the upper area the irons will take care of the gap. Most given 3i's will come close to or exceed the Starter hybrid, replacing it easily.

• PAGES
RSS