Forums

Help › Forums

SIGH !!!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 30 2012 11:04 AM (3 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Oct 29 2012 6:52 PM

I've been playing for 2 months now (I became a member quite a while ago but didn't have time to play, but retired now and have nothing but time) and obviously I really enjoy it.

My Driving, approach shots, and short game have improved more than I could have hoped (down to a 64.75) but I don't putt any better today than I did a month ago.  I keep reading that all it takes is experience to become proficient so I practice and practice. Today I spent 6 straight hour playing Olympic Front Nine over and over and over but fdidn't learn a thing.

As a former pro golfer, I know that practicing with a bad swing or the wrong things is fruitless and that is what I believe I'm doing.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Oct 29 2012 7:47 PM

Olympic greens (and Oakmont) can be darnright nasty so my advice would be to practice on greens that do not break as much,

Having said that you have not really said what the problem is. Is it calculating the distance, the green speed or break of the putt.. Also having a look at your stats, they are not bad so you must be doing something right.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,573 Posts
    Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:48 PM

Yeah, u have to identify the problem more clearly. 

Distance is easy to master on all greens speeds, so I'll presume u have that sorted.

When I was learning ( and still am of course ) I kept a very detailed  record of how I missed putts, was it always on the low side, or the high side. I suspect you are not reading enough break into your putts

There is nothing worse than throwing in a 3 iron to 10 feet and then missing. I was determined to get rid of this annoyance in my game and believe I have succeeded,  I now expect to hole more than I miss.

Good luck.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 11:04 AM

gerryniswonger:

I've been playing for 2 months now (I became a member quite a while ago but didn't have time to play, but retired now and have nothing but time) and obviously I really enjoy it.

My Driving, approach shots, and short game have improved more than I could have hoped (down to a 64.75) but I don't putt any better today than I did a month ago.  I keep reading that all it takes is experience to become proficient so I practice and practice. Today I spent 6 straight hour playing Olympic Front Nine over and over and over but fdidn't learn a thing.

As a former pro golfer, I know that practicing with a bad swing or the wrong things is fruitless and that is what I believe I'm doing.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Hi Gerry,

give this a read - I suspect 90% of all the best players are using 90% of the information here

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/136065.aspx

-wgticon

RSS